The old Sulfuric Lager...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coyotlgw

Reaction score
So after lagering forever (OK, four weeks) I kegged my light lager and finally tasted it last night.

Smells and tastes like rotten eggs.

So other than letting it sit another month at 40 degrees, what can I do to mae it drinkable?

Extract with grains, yeast was Weast 2035:

YEAST STRAIN: 2035 | American Lager.
Bold, complex and aromatic with a good depth of flavor characteristics for a variety of lager beers.
Temperature Range: 48-58F, 9-14C

Sounds to me like it needed to spend more time fermenting and probably lagering too. What was you total fermenting & lagering schedule? You cannot rush a lager if it needs more time. Unless it's already in bottles I would let it lager in a vented container (carboy or keg) for a few more weeks and try it again. 40F is OK but if you can get the temp down closer to 32F/0C it wouldn't hurt.

I do not see how it could be tasting like rotten eggs but maybe it would smell like it. Did you need to do a diacetyl rest? Relax, in 2 months it should be quite tasty.

Sounds to me like it needed to spend more time fermenting and probably lagering too. What was you total fermenting & lagering schedule? You cannot rush a lager if it needs more time. Unless it's already in bottles I would let it lager in a vented container (carboy or keg) for a few more weeks and try it again. 40F is OK but if you can get the temp down closer to 32F/0C it wouldn't hurt.

05/21/2008 20:29 at 75°F SPGR on sample 1.037, adjusts to 1.039. Pitched yeast at 75°F
05/22/2008 05:30 Had started to bubble at room temp, moved fermenter to chiller at 55°F
06/01/2008 21:00 Racked to secondary. SPGR 1.010 at 52.5°F, corrects to 1.009
Dropped temp to about 46°F after a couple weeks, then 42°F after another week
07/12/2008 21:00 Kegged, FG 1.010 at 45°F, corrects to 1.009. Gassed at 20 psi and returned to chiller at 40°F
07/14/2008 16:00 Dropped pressure to 10 PST after venting, gave her a good shake. Dropped temp to 35°F

05/21/2008 20:29 at 75°F SPGR on sample 1.037, adjusts to 1.039. Pitched yeast at 75°F
05/22/2008 05:30 Had started to bubble at room temp, moved fermenter to chiller at 55°F
06/01/2008 21:00 Racked to secondary. SPGR 1.010 at 52.5°F, corrects to 1.009
Dropped temp to about 46°F after a couple weeks, then 42°F after another week
07/12/2008 21:00 Kegged, FG 1.010 at 45°F, corrects to 1.009. Gassed at 20 psi and returned to chiller at 40°F
07/14/2008 16:00 Dropped pressure to 10 PST after venting, gave her a good shake. Dropped temp to 35°F

I don't quite understand. You pitched at 75 degrees, and then lowered it the next day to 55?

Lagers fermented at high temperatures would be sulfuric, I think. But if you fermented it at 55, that should be ok. I know some people say to pitch lagers warm and wait for fermentation to start, but I'm more of a believer in a huge starter and pitching at 50 degrees or so. (with the yeast about 48 degrees). I think that pitching 20 degrees above fermentation temp could cause some off flavors, but I'm not sure if 2035 is a very sulfuric yeast. I've never used it.

Edit- I was just thinking- if you pitched at 75, and it got going, then moved it into the chiller at 55, what was the wort temperature during this time? It would have taken a LONG time for an active fermentation to chill down to 55. Maybe it was too long at a higher temp?

A) You should have pitched at 50-52F if primary is to be 55F.
B) Why only 10 days in primary? The beer should be finished BEFORE racking.
C) You did not do a diacytle rest (sometimes not necessary). This should be done when beer is finished and before racking.

I think the only way to salvage is to put back in secondary, degas, let sit a room temp for a couple of days, then try and lager again!

Yeah the ten days in Primary.... it was down to 1.090 so I figured it was done and it was time for Secondary/lagering.

so I pitched at 70 because I thought the package said that I was supposed to.... I would not get a stuck start if I pitched at 50? I think Yooper is right, even though I was stepping back the temp in degrees think the actual wort would have been a lot warmer than the chiller air.

I skipped the diacetyl rest since most of the fermentation had been warmed than planned... how do you know when you will need it?

Last night I tried it again, though, after a day or two of purging the CO2 and letting it sit at 38 degrees F... seems to have mellowed to be more potable. :)

We have had several (many?) debates on the warm vs. cool pitch temperatures. I feel pretty strongly that pitching warm will cause some off-flavors. Now, I know many feel just as strongly that it won't. I've done alot of reading on the subject, but my own preferences comes from this thinking:

You pitch an ale at 65 degrees to ferment at 65 degrees. You don't pitch at 90 degrees (25 degrees higher) and plan on it tasting as good as it would if you pitched at fermentation temperatures. So, why would I pitch a lager yeast (sulfuric and strangely estery at high temps) 25 degrees higher than fermentation temperature? Especially since it would be a long time before the wort actually cooled to fermentation temperatures if placed into a fridge after fermentation started. The bulk of the fermentation would be done before you'd ever get to fermentation temperature, I'd think. So, what I do is chill my wort to 50 degrees. I have a big, big starter that I fridge and then decant the spent wort. I take it out of the fridge and let it warm to about 48 degrees, and then pitch that in the 50 degree wort. It works great.

Anyway, there is an actual diacetyl test that John Palmer talks about in how to brew (I don't know if it's in the online book, but it might be- it's in the "real" book for sure), but you can also simply taste your beer. If you detect any butter, butterscotch, oiliness, slickness, or even an oily mouthfeel, that's diacetyl. It's always best to do the d-rest on the yeast cake, but can be done later if need be. If you pitch cold, ferment cold, then lager, oftentimes you don't need a d-rest. And some yeast don't produce much of it anyway. If you pitch warm, lower the temp, and ferment it out, you usually need a diacetyl rest.

OK so next time I will do as Yooper suggests :)

To save this one, though, I kept it in the chiller at 36 degrees (F) for another week at 10 psi and vented the gas every other day. Currently tastes far more as I had intended.

Latest posts

Back