The old Mash Tun size question, 15 or 20gal.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daphatgrant

Reaction score
Hey HBT, I currently have a 10gal Rubbermaid drink cooler that I'm using as a mash tun. I recently made a fantastic 9% abv variation of a Union Jack clone and while preparing my grains I abruptly came to the realization that my 10gal round cooler was not up to the task of handling that much grain. Luckily I have a spare 15gal pot that I was able to successfully use as a mash tun. Simple Winco stainless steel pot, did pretty well really, about 78F outside temp, uninsulated, held the temp close enough for 1hr.

I like precision, or making every "reasonable" attempt that I can to get there. The beer I made using the unheated pot turned out great so I know it can be done. I don't plan on making that many high abv beers but the thought of moving up to a 15 or 20 gal mash tun has got me thinking. I'm currently looking at the Chapman Thermobarells in the 15 and 20 gal varieties. I was able to make 10gal of a high 9% abv beer by using a 15 gal pot as the mash tun. The grain for the recipe fit but I didn't have much room.

Given that I don't plan on making that many high abv beers and I certainly don't plan on regularly making double batches of high abv beers should I look towards the 15 gal mash tuns or buy a little more expansion room and get a 20 gal mash tun?

Thanks, HBT :mug:

I just use a second converted 5 gallon cooler as a supplement to the 10 gallon cooler. Between these, I've had the capacity to do two different brews in excess of 17%.

Take into account the two different sizes when you design your recipe, splitting the grain bill into thirds. One third into the 5 gallon and two thirds into the 10, maintaining identical malt percentages in both. This will also keep your water to grain ratio the same.

But yeah, a single mash gun would be easier. I'm just too cheap to spring for yet another equipment addition... The only reason I have two coolers in the first place is for low and intermediate ABV beers.

I mash in a 15 gallon kettle to make 11 gallon batches. I think there is about a gallon under my false bottom and I mash at 1.5 quarts per pound. If I go over 8% ABV I start to mash thicker. According to the greenbay rackers mash calculator I could get 35 pounds of grain at 1.2 quarts per pound above the FB no sweat. That will get me up around 1.080 for a full batch and anything higher than 1.060 is going to have at least some sugar in the kettle or fermentor. Only once did I go bigger than this and used my old cooler for half the mash to make a big barleywine. If anything I wish I had a 20 gallon bk because boiling 14 gallons in my 15 gallon kettle is always interesting.

I switched from a 10g to a 15g spike mash tun. I do 5g batches and do some huge beers and double mashes. The 10g was very tight on huge beers, barley wines RIS..., at 1.25. Stuck mashes when doing so. Double mashes were limited to very small beers. The spike 15g was great on that last two 1060 double mashes and recirculated great. i think a 20g mash would be too big for what I do.

Back