The old man made a idiot mistake..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TangleFoot

Reaction score
I posted this in the beginners area 'cause I made a beginners mistake tonight.
Just recently went to all grain (BIAB) and new to electric. Been brewing extracts for a couple years in my propane turkey fryer.
I keg my beer so I always add the priming sugar to the brew to up the gravity a little. I don't use kits anymore but have alot of sugar left over.
Anyways, I added the sugar slowly and stirred real well BUT....I forgot to turn the element off until it was all dissolved good.
I now have 10 gallons of SCHORCHED wheat beer.

You all are invited over in about a month to help me drink this batch.

I did taste the finished wort and didn't really detect a bad taste but it sure smells schorched.

Now I have to clean my element.(for some reason that just sounded wrong):D

Just had to share my idiot moment.....it's just a shame because to rest of the brew time went so well.

Oh well........TangleFoot-out

well....just went to secondary with this batch and I really couldn't detect any off smell but I give it a taste and I could taste the scorch:mad:

When I dumped the trub from primary it really smelled scorched....and no I didn't taste it. So I know alot of it went out with trub.

But do you think it will continue to diminish?

I guess if it still tastes scorched I could donate it to the rural volunteer fire department:D

Later.TangleFoot-out

Had this happen twice due to overzealous recirculation, both batches were Hefe's. There's no fixing it......tried to choke it down but eventually ended up dumping it all. Scorched is the one off-flavor that doesn't go away over time. :(

Back