The myth of the <$50 corny keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought 3 corny ball locks 2 days ago for 25 dollars a piece (No shipping. He was in a town close by so I drove over and picked them up) from an Ebay seller. It was a good unusual price. There are still some people selling ball locks cheap, just not many.

If I were you I'd buy a couple kegs from kegconnection. That will hold you for awhile and in the mean time just keep checking ebay and craigslist.

I was lucky to find 2-3gallon kegs at a swap meet for 20 bucks each. They were just about brand new with no dents or dings. Sometimes you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

I agree I picked up a 10 gl for 20$ at a car swap meet.

I didn't know that the corny's had gotten so pricy. The last 12 I bought came out to $12.50 each but that was in 09

I just ordered 2 kegs from bvrgelements.com. I got the ones with broken handles. $27 a piece after shipping. I've been looking on Craig's list for a couple of months in about a 200 mile radius with no luck so i decided to gove these a try. Will update with the quality when I receive them.

I got most of mine from a dude in San Marcos for $20/each with a gasket kit. He had an entire shipping container full of them in his driveway. That was a few years ago. I think I met him through QUAFF.

i believe i bought mine from the same san marcos fellow- now $35/ea includes new gasket kit. Decent quality, steel is good, rubber looking a bit ragged but expected.

My LHBS sells ball lock kegs for only $40 too. Sounds like prices are just more in that area ("higher standard of living" maybe?). I've seen a lot of people converting pin lock corny's to ball locks and prices I've seen online are $30-$40, but shipping is what gets you. I have one that is a pin lock converted to ball lock as well for $40.

I remember seeing this thread a while ago and y'all were looking for the guy in SD who always has kegs. I found him the other day and he still has some. Price is now $55. He gives them to you pressurized so you know they are good. Just pull the ring to test.

I live in NJ, but I just got 4 corny kegs from a bulk, group buy through my homebrew club. They were used cornies with some soda still left in them and required a great deal of cleaning, but overall are in good shape. They came with new o-rings and lube all for $104. This was by far the best deal I have found over the past 4 months in my area. I was having the same problem as you before I found this group buy. If you live in CA, you probably have some decent homebrew clubs. I would check them out as a possible source for cornies.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back