The Mushroom Growing Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

Miraculix

Reaction score
Good day everyone,

after the topic popped up somewhere else and we went far too off topic with that, I thought it is better to give this topic it's own thread. We're talking about culinary mushrooms here, not the crazy ones.....

I grow pom pom, oyster and shiitake. Everything only with stuff that is already in a normal kitchen, except for the hard wood pellets, preferably oak or beech wood. These are already almost sterile, soak them in the right amount of boiling water (the ratio is 1/1.5 wood pellets to water by weight) and you got a good start. Use enough of the inocculated grains than one can buy, or just make it yourself, also works without any autoclave.

You can go much further with sterile process, autoclave, air filter, etc. but that is not my type of game, I like it easy with a good outcome. YOu can also grow on coffe grounds, spent grains might also be an option as @bracconiere mentioned somewhere else, who I would like to gladly invite to this thread. I think this topic deserves it's own thread, doesn't it?

I need to find an oyster strain that does not need too much fresh air, my current strain grows a bit too weired when not placed in a perfectly vented environment. Luckily, my shiitakes and my pompoms do not care about this :D.

Cheers and happy growing!

Last edited:

toadie

Reaction score
You are speaking my language. I enjoy eating meat but I really enjoy eating mushrooms. I've done a few oyster kits and a lions mane kit over the last 2 years. I liked them all. I personally found them a little pricey but would recommend them as an entry point. I have garden giants (king stropharia) in a shaded wood chip bed this year and a few logs with shitake plugs going as well. I also put some shitake plugs in a tree stump I just cut down but I'm not sure that will work.

One thing I noticed with the oyster kit was the incredible amount of spores everywhere in the aquarium I was growing them in. I will find a little greenhouse for in doors soon and already have the humidifier and inkbird humidity controller.

Ironically i worked in a button mushroom farm a little in my youth though I try to stay away from that variety now (as well as cremini which are apparently the same thing!).

Cheers!

OP
OP
Miraculix

Miraculix

Reaction score
You are speaking my language. I enjoy eating meat but I really enjoy eating mushrooms. I've done a few oyster kits and a lions mane kit over the last 2 years. I liked them all. I personally found them a little pricey but would recommend them as an entry point. I have garden giants (king stropharia) in a shaded wood chip bed this year and a few logs with shitake plugs going as well. I also put some shitake plugs in a tree stump I just cut down but I'm not sure that will work.

One thing I noticed with the oyster kit was the incredible amount of spores everywhere in the aquarium I was growing them in. I will find a little greenhouse for in doors soon and already have the humidifier and inkbird humidity controller.

Ironically i worked in a button mushroom farm a little in my youth though I try to stay away from that variety now (as well as cremini which are apparently the same thing!).

Cheers!
I also started with a kit. And yes, great fun but also pricey. It is actually so easy to generate these blocks of inoculated substrate yourself! You can cook some cheap wheat, inoculate it with pieces of the old substrate blocks, mix it with the new substrate 70/30 wood pellets/wheat or more wheat, keep it in a freezer bag with tiny holes in it and play the waiting game.

Oysters are really quick, 4 weeks or less, shiitake can take some months till they are ready to fruit. All you got to do is wait and once they are ready, you make them fruit.

I'd love to inoculate some logs too, but I can't find any wood nearby :(.

I got some shiitake plugs which have been sent to me by happy accident.

Last edited:

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
1654544609477.png

my pressure cooker...found in many, many kitchens...and some people use them for storing yeast starter wort...

and here's my glove box....

1654544896227.png

i actually picked two of those filters up off ebay for $20 bucks back in 2003-4....it needs a good blower to push air through it though...(i just use a cardboard box with a couple squares cut out of it to hook it up to the filter.....)

and this is a serious clean air box, not a computer fan and vacuum HEPA that i think would be worse then a still air box...

and here's my pretty little fruiting chamber, that sadly hasn't really gotten much use in WAY too long....

1654545184544.png

but that's the basic equipment i use....

and @Miraculix You Beat Me To It! i was coming to general chit chat to start this thread! looking forward to maybe whipping all this stuff back into action!

i'm afrain i'll be force to just grow gamey pinks though with the temps around here! :mug:

OP
OP
Miraculix

Miraculix

Reaction score
View attachment 771053

my pressure cooker...found in many, many kitchens...and some people use them for storing yeast starter wort...

and here's my glove box....

View attachment 771054

i actually picked two of those filters up off ebay for $20 bucks back in 2003-4....it needs a good blower to push air through it though...(i just use a cardboard box with a couple squares cut out of it to hook it up to the filter.....)

and this is a serious clean air box, not a computer fan and vacuum HEPA that i think would be worse then a still air box...

and here's my pretty little fruiting chamber, that sadly hasn't really gotten much use in WAY too long....

View attachment 771055

but that's the basic equipment i use....

and @Miraculix You Beat Me To It! i was coming to general chit chat to start this thread! looking forward to maybe whipping all this stuff back into action!

i'm afrain i'll be force to just grow gamey pinks though with the temps around here! :mug:
Nice!

Actually, I also got a similar fruiting chamber, that one is probably not in the standard kitchen reportoire :D

I just inocculated 2 kg of boiled grains with oyster plugs that I received a second time by mistake. The first round was for some logs in someone elses garden, they've send me the same parcel twice. Same bill number and everything. I will order there surely again! :)

I was thinking about the pressure cooker, but than I would need to go all the way, with glove box etc... maybe later this year. For now, this seems to work as I do it atm. I cann even harvest the coffee grounds from the office I am working at, thats about 100 engineers plus 50 other people, so there is probably half a ton of coffe grounds each day to get.

It seems like you just need to use loads of these innoculated grains, than the mushroom will take over much quicker than anything else and you are safe. And these grains can be multiplied easily without a pressure cooker. Boiling it, letting it cool down and boiling it again 24 hours later seems to do the job just fine. First boiling takes care of everything except spores, the 24 h wait in humid environment makes all the remaining spores go into eating and multiply mode, ie. not spores anymore and then everything get's killed with the second boil. At least that is the therory. I have read that a third boil should be as good as autoclaved, but for me 2 times seems to work.

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Nice!

Actually, I also got a similar fruiting chamber, that one is probably not in the standard kitchen reportoire :D

I just inocculated 2 kg of boiled grains with oyster plugs that I received a second time by mistake. The first round was for some logs in someone elses garden, they've send me the same parcel twice. Same bill number and everything. I will order there surely again! :)

I was thinking about the pressure cooker, but than I would need to go all the way, with glove box etc... maybe later this year. For now, this seems to work as I do it atm. I cann even harvest the coffee grounds from the office I am working at, thats about 100 engineers plus 50 other people, so there is probably half a ton of coffe grounds each day to get.

It seems like you just need to use loads of these innoculated grains, than the mushroom will take over much quicker than anything else and you are safe. And these grains can be multiplied easily without a pressure cooker. Boiling it, letting it cool down and boiling it again 24 hours later seems to do the job just fine. First boiling takes care of everything except spores, the 24 h wait in humid environment makes all the remaining spores go into eating and multiply mode, ie. not spores anymore and then everything get's killed with the second boil. At least that is the therory. I have read that a third boil should be as good as autoclaved, but for me 2 times seems to work.

if you're doing it that way...i'd probably just use store bought oyster mushrooms to inoculate? just give em a bleach water soak for 5-10 minutes then rip em up?

i've cloned many a store bought shroom that way, way cheaper then over the internet...(i've even cloned a wild shaggy mane to plant out in the yard, unfortantly i moved right afterward 🤣)

bracconiere

Jolly Alcoholic
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
well you've inspired me. went to my old haunt to order pink oyster mycelium syringe...realized, no that was NorCal, here it's going to be Golden oyster which fruits at a range of 70-85f....

and not one single place sells hard wood pellets for fuel...but i can get smoking pellets, just going to cost a bit more for them....

NickTheGreat

Reaction score
I don't really like mushrooms that much but I tried growing some oysters last year. I tried the bucket/sawdust method. They started out well, but probably got too hot and fizzled out.

I still have the bucket and have been soaking it again this year. But I'm going to have to start from scratch again, I think.