The Most You Have Paid For One Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zul'jin

Reaction score
After seeing Panzermans $11 each Dogfish Head 120 IPA, I gotta know. And what was it? Was it worth it? Was it good beer or fancy packaging?

Buying beers at bar rooms (even gourmet beer bars), concerts, games and the like, where beer is way over priced anyway, doesn't exactly count, but go ahead anyway.

Me? I may have paid $17 for a six pack. $2.50 per beer. Can't even recall what it was. Wait, Mississippi Mud may have been $3.00 or so each.

You're drinking cheap beers man! :p Chimay Grande Reserve @ $14.69 + tax and deposit is the only one I can remember in exact figures. I think that I have purchased a $20 bottle of Three Philosophers once.

Fat, lazy, retired ninja edit: Oh, TOTALLY worth it by the way. Especially the Chimay.

I bought a six-pack of Ruination for ~$16 a couple of times, but...

The most expensive beer I ever bought was a 12 oz. of DFH 120 min. IPA for $8.50. Not only was it not worth the money, it might have been the worst beer I've ever had. As I've said before "It was like eating the dirt under a pine tree."

I love to quote myself.

I was doing one of those make your own six pack deals and I grabbed a bottle of DFH Raison D'Extra. It rang up for $12.99.

I paid I think $13 for a bottle of Cantillon Gueuze, 750mL.

$15 for a magnum of 2008 Anchor Christmas Ale. 1.5L

Rochefort 10 runs about $7.50 for a 11.2 oz bottle. So price per ounce, that's the most I've paid, but dang worth it. Good thing I can make my own now.

You're drinking cheap beers man! :p Chimay Grande Reserve @ $14.69 + tax and deposit is the only one I can remember in exact figures. I think that I have purchased a $20 bottle of Three Philosophers once.

Fat, lazy, retired ninja edit: Oh, TOTALLY worth it by the way. Especially the Chimay.

damn, dude. you got ripped off. i can get chimay at TJs for around $10.

what about me...well, i paid $30 for a shot of utopias. twice. umm...i've bought lots of specialty beers. i bought some limited edition ale for like $18 once and it sucked...dagnabit...what was the name of that beer...i got the logo pictured in my head but i can't read it!!...

New Beligum's La Folie was not cheap and not worth it.

Beers that were worth the cash: 11-12ozers of Orval ($7-9), and The Beast, Mephistoples, and Samaels ($8 each)

$23 bottle of Cantillon Grand Cru and the same price for there Gueuze at the Palm Tavern. Best $23 I've ever spent.

Which Sause did share with me, by the way. I didn't like it, but I did taste it!

I'm not sure which single I've spent the most on- there have been a few that made me wince when I bought them, but forgot about the price as they bagged them for me.

Does a bar count? If so, I once paid $35 for a beer. A buddy and I were walking around Paris all night (long story) and he had to "have a movement". So we walked into what ended up being a gentleman's club. Figuring it would be a couple minutes, I ordered a beer, and when payment was due, it was 35 dollars (whatever the french equivalent was at the time). Of course it was already opened so I had to pay for it. My buddy came out of the bathroom and asked how much the beer was and almost choked. Asked how much a bottle of water was. $35. I don't remember the name, but it was french and tasted like crap.

well it was not for one beer but back in college in Binghamton, NY I paid $16 for a 4 pack of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout....in 1993. At a bar in Denver a Sammy Oaty Pounder is $7

Most I've spent, about $16. Number of beers over that price that I wanted to buy this week at Tacoma Boys, about 4. Amount of guilt I feel at buying expensive beer, NONE. Seriously, it p!sses me off when I hear people say that a $10 bottle of beer is too much, but those same people wouldn't hesitate to spend triple that on wine. Or people who don't buy either, but think beer is somehow inferior to wine.

With few exceptions, every high end beer I've bought has, IMO, been well worth the money I spent for it. Someday, I will have a nice beer cellar full of expensive beer, or at least I'll keep dreaming about it while I buy the occasional high end beer.

This year? $20 for a 4 pack 12 oz of Goose Island Bourbon County Brand Stout.

Ever? Bottle of Chimay White at a restaurant in Montreal. Something like $25 Canadian. At the time that would have been maybe $15 US.

;)

my wife and I went on holiday in Italy. I stopped in at a cafe bar and ordered a beer. After I figured out the Lira to pound to dollar conversion. I learned I paid $10 for an italian version of Bud.

I stuck to the wine after that. Since it was about $2 a bottle. :D

I don't mind to much paying extra for good beer while I am out. The most costly beers by far are the BMC swill that you pay top dollar for at sporting events.

Not sure really. Probably a Lambic though, I usually don't remember the price because I see it as an experience.

20 bucks and change for a magnum of East End Gratitude Barley Wine...there have been a few 22oz bottles around the 15 buck range. Though, these are not frequent purchases.

Worth it? I'd say yes, partially for the experience of tasting those beers and partly because they were all excellent beers and a few of them have opened my eyes to different ingredients, processes, thinking about layers of flavors, ect. Did I find the 120m worth it? From the experience of trying it, yes...from the pov of a good beer? not really.

I buy Chimay Red pretty regularily. I pay about $8.50 for a 750 mL bottle. I've paid more for crap beer at concerts though...

Last time I was buying Chimay, a guy holding a 6-pack of Molson Canadian (Canada's BMC) came up to and tried to impress me with his math skills. He quickly worked out that the price I was paying per unit of alcohol for my Chimay was much more than he was paying for his Molson Canadian and he told me that if I were smart that I'd put back the over-priced Chimay and buy the BMC. I rebutted by telling him that I possess a math degree and can work out price per unit of alcohol effortlessly, but that I buy my beer for taste, and Molson Canadian has none, and that's probably why it's cheaper.
Some people just don't get it.

I bought a Cantillion for about $18 and a 2003 Thomas Hardy 6oz for about $6.

I havn't opened the Hardy yet but the Cantillion was great and well worth the expense.

Craig

New Beligum's La Folie was not cheap and not worth it.

Beers that were worth the cash: 11-12ozers of Orval ($7-9), and The Beast, Mephistoples, and Samaels ($8 each)

I just bought a bottle of 2007 orval for 5 bucks. Actually, I can buy Orval all day at 5 dollars a bottle. I surely don't though....Man, I love Orval.

~$15 to $20 usually for a 750 of lambic.

I spent $11 for a bomber of Fat Tire at the Fiesta Bowl.

SA Chocolate Bock went for 15. Gave that out as a Christmas gift

I think a 750 of Deus goes for about $35. I was going to crack it at New Years but I just forgot about it.

I bought a 1984 Chimay Blue at the Kulminator in Antwerp. I think that cost 25 or 30 bucks.

I need to have more 15-20 dollar beers in my life.

~$15 to $20 usually for a 750 of lambic.

I spent $11 for a bomber of Fat Tire at the Fiesta Bowl.

SA Chocolate Bock went for 15. Gave that out as a Christmas gift

I think a 750 of Deus goes for about $35. I was going to crack it at New Years but I just forgot about it.

I bought a 1984 Chimay Blue at the Kulminator in Antwerp. I think that cost 25 or 30 bucks.

I need to have more 15-20 dollar beers in my life.

1984 Chimay Blue? What is the ideal drinking age for that? And how does one know, besides experience, the ideal drinking age for a particular Beer?

I've bought the standard chimays, rocheforts and Orval, Delerium Nocturnum,Noel and a bottle of Tremens to be drank.. most expensive hmmm Can't remember. Have a bottle of Epic08 in the keezer sitting till 2012. That is my cellar. 1 bottle. Hope to add more.

Wonder if Jester's Red will tell us what she payed for that ginormous bottle of Double Bastid? :D

I once bought one of those double mags of Oaked DB, I think I payed like $65 at wholesale (worked at the beer shop at the time), gave it as a wedding gift :D

I once bought one of those double mags of Oaked DB, I think I payed like $65 at wholesale (worked at the beer shop at the time), gave it as a wedding gift :D

Those things are sooooo freaking sweet. I want to buy one every time I go to the liquor store. They are over $100 retail tho.

1984 Chimay Blue? What is the ideal drinking age for that? And how does one know, besides experience, the ideal drinking age for a particular Beer?

I've bought the standard chimays, rocheforts and Orval, Delerium Nocturnum,Noel and a bottle of Tremens to be drank.. most expensive hmmm Can't remember. Have a bottle of Epic08 in the keezer sitting till 2012. That is my cellar. 1 bottle. Hope to add more.

I'm not an expert in this area, but my opinion is that most beers peak well before 5 years. It's of interest to drink beers of older vintage to note the changes- what still stands up, what flavors have faded or changed and what oxidation has done- more so than drinking such a beer at it's peak.

Back