the mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zadeun

Reaction score
ok i'll be batch sparging and was reading up on this, but i've seen two diffrent ways to mash, well to start the mash. one has the grain int he MLT first and then you pour yoru strike water onto/into it and stir. the other is to haev the strike water int he MLT already and slowly add in the grain. so which is it? grain the water or water then grain? 0_o

Add the water first then the grain. If you add grain first and miss your temp with the water sucks for you. But if you add water first and temp isn't quit right then you can fix it.

You will see it written both ways. The majority will say water first, then grain. The reason is that you can stir while adding the grain avoiding "dough balls" if the grain clumps together, which will affect efficiency. I always add the water first.

There are proponents for both methods. Like McKBrew, I prefer water first.

I did my first batch sparge following palmers directions he says " you want to add the water to the grain not the other way around" and this has always worked really well for me, and i also followed his temp calculation of TW=(0.2/ratio of water to grain)(the temp you wanna mash at-the temp or your grain)+the temp you mash at. It has came out good every time.

Back