The last Templar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bernie Brewer

Grouchy Old Fart
Reaction score
Anybody watching this? I read the book about a year and a half ago. Fecking awesome book. So far the movie's not bad, but not as good as the book. Always seems that way, doesn't it?

Anybody watching this? I read the book about a year and a half ago. Fecking awesome book. So far the movie's not bad, but not as good as the book. Always seems that way, doesn't it?

How do you fit a book into a 2hr movie? Band of Brothers? It was 8 DVDs long.

Hell if you fit Lord of the Rings onto DVD it would be 200Dvds

I read the book, and I wasn't that impressed. I thought that the author was just trying to capitalize on the success of The DaVinci Code. Is this the one with Mira Sorvino? I do like her though. Maybe I'll try to find it online.

I forgot all about that show on tonight...dang it...:mad:

I'm reading The Testament. A lot like the DaVinci Code with different factions of Christian religious beliefs (Vatican soldiers against Observatine Gnostics battling each other) who have been guarding a secret that the Vatican wants so it'll save the life of the dying Pope (damned near making him immortal) in the killer-thriller-spy genre. Written by Eric Lustbader of The Bourne books, I think.

I thought it was set more in the Middle Agees (which I would have preferred).
I'm more into these than actual "spy" books.

Actually, the LotR movies were far better than the books. It took me five years to read the books, not because I'm a slow reader, but because they were incredibly boring and I was against torture even before Gitmo.

Actually, the LotR movies were far better than the books. It took me five years to read the books, not because I'm a slow reader, but because they were incredibly boring and I was against torture even before Gitmo.

SACRILEGE! :D

I am normally not that discerning when it comes to television, but I lost interest in this show quickly (and I like Mira Sorvino).

Well, maybe I should explain myself with less snark.

The LotR books had a lot of good action and fantasy fun. This was lightly interspersed in a pool of culture and history lecture which, though of a fantasy nature, was just as interesting as it was in High School. I don't have anything against broad-reaching backstory, but it has to be presented in an interesting way. It takes a lot for a fantasy book to bore me to tears, but Tolkein succeeded. Not because the story was bad, but because his storytelling was abysmal.

The movies took out all that lecture that didn't really advance the plot, and simply gave us the wonderful story that is LotR.

I read the book, and I wasn't that impressed. I thought that the author was just trying to capitalize on the success of The DaVinci Code. Is this the one with Mira Sorvino? I do like her though. Maybe I'll try to find it online.

+1 to everything you said.

Only 5 years...how about waiting over 30 years :)mad:) for the movies to come out after you read them??? :rockin:

I'm certain there are people older than me that waited longer...:D

Only 5 years...how about waiting over 30 years :)mad:) for the movies to come out after you read them??? :rockin:

I'm certain there are people older than me that waited longer...:D

Did you forget about the cartoons that came out in the Eighties?

Do those even count? :D

I didn't wait for five years to read them. I started them one year, then after 5 years of pain, I completed them.

Back