The last gallon of beer in a keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmf143

Reaction score
I'm nearing the end of my first Pale Ale kegged 5 gallon batch. I'm guesstimating there's between 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon still in the keg. The last pint I poured (via picnic tap) was very cloudy and off-tasting. Is that to be expected when I have this little beer left in the keg? I did not carb the beer with any priming sugar. I carbed it and serve it at about 12-13 psi at 38 degrees.

did you jostle the keg any? i find that if i move it too much with less that 1/3 left in it, the sediment on the bottom gets stirred up a lot. leave it alone for a few days, and see if it doesn't clear up again.

I'm nearing the end of my first Pale Ale kegged 5 gallon batch. I'm guesstimating there's between 1/2 gallon and 1 gallon still in the keg. The last pint I poured (via picnic tap) was very cloudy and off-tasting. Is that to be expected when I have this little beer left in the keg? I did not carb the beer with any priming sugar. I carbed it and serve it at about 12-13 psi at 38 degrees.

Yeah maybe you roused some off flavored trub or something. Honestly I have never had the last part of a keg taste bad though.

Yeah maybe you roused some off flavored trub or something. Honestly I have never had the last part of a keg taste bad though.

the bad taste is probably yeast strain dependent. a wit yeast tastes pretty good, but others are pretty awful.

Doesn't the tube draw the beer from the very bottom? Wouldn't that mean that any sediment formed between draws would come out with the next draw?

That would mean you would not expect to have more badness near the end. Is my logic correct?

i can't remember the logic/science of it, but usually only the first and last few pours will stir the sediment up and cloud the pour.

Doesn't the tube draw the beer from the very bottom? Wouldn't that mean that any sediment formed between draws would come out with the next draw?

That would mean you would not expect to have more badness near the end. Is my logic correct?

That's why I trim all my dip tubes. It only leaves 4 to 5 ounces in the keg, along with all the crud. Those dip tubes will suck every last drop out.

_

Stop shaking it so much to see how much is left ;)

:mug: +1

Yes the tube runs to the bottom (have a friend who ferment-carbonates his brews in the keg, and he cut the last quarter-inch off of his tube for that reason) -but in reality, providing you DON'T shake the keg around, the first couple of draws SHOULD clear the sediment around the tube. I'm with the others, you likely got the yeast sediment stirred up a bit. Mine are pretty consistent to the last pull.
Of course, this is assuming your beer doesn't stay in the can long enough to just go bad (ugh).
Off topic tho -on that note, on the rare occasion that this DOES happen to me, I just use the remainder in some cooking recipes (mmmm beeeer)

I dry hop in the keg so my last half gallon to gallon gets very cloudy with some bits but it tastes the best because its basically being drawn through a beer soaked bed of hop goodness. Did you dry hop this in the keg at all?

I don't cut my dip tubes and I usually don't touch the keg until it is empty....

First pour will have some sediment and then it should be clear sailing until, potentially, the last pour.

The sediment is pretty sticky stuff and once the area around the dip tube is cleared, you are in the clear.

(Here I start a war)...Seems silly to cut the tube and it really serves no purpose...toss the first pint (I don't and drink it :drunk:) or loose a pint or more in the keg with a short tube, your call but a no brainer for me.

My $0.02.

You might be closer to the end than you think (unless you picked up the keg to check). I have found the last pint gets a bit yeasty as the liquid level drops over the sediment and mixes a bit into it. But then the next pull I get about 1/4 - 1/2 pint and then shes all gone :(
I carb with sugar for what its worth

I don't cut my dip tubes and I usually don't touch the keg until it is empty....

First pour will have some sediment and then it should be clear sailing until, potentially, the last pour.

The sediment is pretty sticky stuff and once the area around the dip tube is cleared, you are in the clear.

(Here I start a war)...Seems silly to cut the tube and it really serves no purpose...toss the first pint (I don't and drink it :drunk:) or loose a pint or more in the keg with a short tube, your call but a no brainer for me.

My $0.02.

That's pretty much my two cents as well. I have some cloudiness in the first draw but it is mostly a cosmetic thing. Once a keg is dead and the lid is pulled, it is very evident why there is no more cloudiness until it blows foam. the area around the dip tube is completely clear.

I also force carb though. People who still prime may get more funk than that.

That's pretty much my two cents as well. I have some cloudiness in the first draw but it is mostly a cosmetic thing. Once a keg is dead and the lid is pulled, it is very evident why there is no more cloudiness until it blows foam. the area around the dip tube is completely clear.

I also force carb though. People who still prime may get more funk than that.

Yep, that's my experience also. There's about 1/8 cup of yeast sludge on the bottom, no liquid at all, and it's completely clear in a circle around the diptube. My diptubes go to the very very bottom.

I keg, and let it sit for several days in the kegerator. I pour about 2-3 ounces, discard it and drink every drop that's left. Once that 2-3 ounces is gone, the beer stays perfectly clear until it's gone, as long as it's not moved.

If I have to move a keg (parties or out to my summer home), I'll jump it to a new keg and then move the new keg which is now sediment free.

Back