The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cast iron fry pan pizza, kind of Detroit-style. Recipe loosely based on this one on ATK. I used instant yeast, rather than doing the overnight in the fridge thing. Used whole milk mozzarella with a little shredded cheddar mixed in, and monterey jack around the edges.

Only gripe: I didn't have enough pepperoni on hand to cover the thing. More pepp next time.

View attachment 817084
I’ve had a pizza craving lately so I tried this atk recipe. Made the dough yesterday and put it in the fridge for 24 hours. Just a plain sauce/cheese pizza, but it hit the spot....plus leftovers!!

IMG-2719.jpg

IMG-2721.jpg

Making pies today on my Vision kamado grill and have an abundance of spinach in the garden. Should I put on as is and top with cheese or should I wilt it first. I always wilt it in the pan before adding the eggs for a fritata.

Making pies today on my Vision kamado grill and have an abundance of spinach in the garden. Should I put on as is and top with cheese or should I wilt it first. I always wilt it in the pan before adding the eggs for a fritata.
I'll do fresh arugula and/or basil, but I only do cooked/sauteed/wilted spinach. I'm sure fresh would okay though.

I've been working on my pizza sauce (a work in progress). This is for my standard 8" Neopolitan pizza.
  • 20g Filippo Berio Sun Dried Tomato Pesto
  • 24g Rao’s Pizza Sauce (or other Marinara)
  • 1g Amore Anchovy Paste (be careful this can overpower the flavor of the sauce)
  • 2g+ Amore Chili Pepper Paste (adds a hint of spice)

Sorry I can't do photos. I went with using spinach fresh and it was mounded pretty high,but came out flat and bubbly. The flavor was more toward fresh and had some tooth to it. I will forever use it fresh on pies!

Chicken sausage and mushroom.
Looks good, but it also looks like my efforts with pizza stone in gas BBQ. Crust turns out awesome, toppings look like a bit more heat would have been better. Don't take this as a critique, my partner offered to get an Ooni for Father's day but I decided to stick with pizza stone on the gas grill - its less fiddly and can turn out a big (14-15") pizza every 4 minutes without much rest if I am doing a crowd. An Ooni requires probably as long to come back to heat after each pie as it takes to cook and if you push it you get soggy center crust. (Ooni style ovens do make great pizza)
I am at max heat in my grill, but I did pizza on a friends and had to drop heat to avoid burning crust - a second thin pizza stone or steel would probably make that grill perfect.
I think it is a good way to make pizza

Looks good, but it also looks like my efforts with pizza stone in gas BBQ. Crust turns out awesome, toppings look like a bit more heat would have been better. Don't take this as a critique, my partner offered to get an Ooni for Father's day but I decided to stick with pizza stone on the gas grill - its less fiddly and can turn out a big (14-15") pizza every 4 minutes without much rest if I am doing a crowd. An Ooni requires probably as long to come back to heat after each pie as it takes to cook and if you push it you get soggy center crust. (Ooni style ovens do make great pizza)
I am at max heat in my grill, but I did pizza on a friends and had to drop heat to avoid burning crust - a second thin pizza stone or steel would probably make that grill perfect.
I think it is a good way to make pizza
No criticism taken, you are correct. I don’t enjoy blackened crust, (though for many is is an hallmark of a great pie) and some caramelization of the toppings and cheese is always welcomed. I’ve seen some grill top pizza “ovens” that might work to capture heat and reflect down but they’re about $50 and seems like a lot of stuff to move for the maybe once a month pizza night. Sam’s club has a propane “knockoff“ Ooni for $200.

Ok, I love this thread. Not sure how I missed it, but I’ve only got 10 more years to get through to catch up!

we love homemade pizza and here’s our latest. We use a Blaze grill with a rear burner and put the pizza on a stone. Typically put the pizza on when stone temperature hits 600F. 7-8 minute cook, rotating every couple of minutes.
IMG_0589.jpeg

pizza dough was King Arthur pizza flour in a food processor. Some room to grow here for sure.

Ok, I love this thread. Not sure how I missed it, but I’ve only got 10 more years to get through to catch up!

we love homemade pizza and here’s our latest. We use a Blaze grill with a rear burner and put the pizza on a stone. Typically put the pizza on when stone temperature hits 600F. 7-8 minute cook, rotating every couple of minutes.
View attachment 821823
pizza dough was King Arthur pizza flour in a food processor. Some room to grow here for sure.
At first I was thinking the yellow things were french fries. Then some looked like long pasta noodles. Then I realized they are probably (hopefully) yellow bell peppers.

At first I was thinking the yellow things were french fries. Then some looked like long pasta noodles. Then I realized they are probably (hopefully) yellow bell peppers.
Indeed they are!

our next pizzas will be using a smoker to bake with a propane torch to give some char to the crust and toppings. Stay tuned!

Ok, unique pizza situation. In our RV, using a Green Mountain Davy Crockett pellet grill. Temperature 450ish, on a pizza pan, took about 15 minutes.

Dough with all purpose flour, rapid rise yeast.

Toppings: RAO marinara, Jimmy Dean hot sausage, onions, orange bell peppers, mushrooms, whole milk mozzarella, and pepperoni.

Char: after the bake, used a propane torch to give some char to the crust, cheese, and pepperoni.

Attachments

• IMG_0625.jpeg
    IMG_0625.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0626.jpeg
    IMG_0626.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0627.jpeg
    IMG_0627.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0628.jpeg
    IMG_0628.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0629.jpeg
    IMG_0629.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Review: toppings were good, crust was ok. A more artisanal approach to the crust would be a plus. Might also try a pizza stone in the pellet grill. The ”char assistance“ technique is a keeper.

So went to a local Detroit Style Pizza place I haven't had in years. I sent the 1st pizza back and explained Detroit style is supposed to be light and airy. They made me another but basically got the same thing. When we went years ago it was not like this at all it was light and airy. This just seems raw and gooey. Anyone with information would be helpful. Thanks!

PXL_20230621_044208864.PORTRAIT.jpg

Review: toppings were good, crust was ok. A more artisanal approach to the crust would be a plus. Might also try a pizza stone in the pellet grill. The ”char assistance“ technique is a keeper.
Or a steel which may travel better, no worries about it breaking. That way you place the raw pizza on a hot surface. Even though most metal pans transfer heat quickly it’s just won’t give the same result.

I agree about the pans; results were good, but not like a pizza oven

I tried reverse side grill grates (essentially a perforated aluminum griddle for those not familiar), but burned the bottom of the crust, so the pan came next. Could be there’s a way to do it with grill grates, but not sure. Pizza steel sounds like a good option.

I think I posted about my Lodge Cast Iron pizza pan in this thread. I love it, whether is in the oven or on the grill. Heat it up, throw the pizza dough on it, throw the toppings on it, and let it cook. The grill can reach higher temps than the oven, so it only takes about 8 minutes to get a perfectly cooked pizza. 12 minutes in the oven, so still not bad.

They apparently changed the handle design, but it's pretty much the same as mine. You can see the old handle design in my picture above.

Finally got around to setting up our Walmart Ooni knock off oven. First time using it, we didn’t too bad. Made a plain pizza, a pepperoni pizza and a white pizza with broccoli. Didn’t get pictures of the pepperoni.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpeg
    IMG_2768.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2769.jpeg
    IMG_2769.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2770.jpeg
    IMG_2770.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2771.jpeg
    IMG_2771.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2774.jpeg
    IMG_2774.jpeg
  • IMG_2775.jpeg
    IMG_2775.jpeg
About a month ago, I made a sour dough starter. I've since been trying to perfect my pizza dough using the sour dough. I'm still not there yet, but it is very tasty.

My sour dough started with 1 cup whole wheat flour, and a little over 1/2 cup water. I added water to it by the tablespoon to get the starter at the right consistency. I feed it with whole wheat flour, and water measured the same way.

My pizza dough is 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup of the sourdough, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, plus salt and pepper to taste. The crust is sticky, but crumbly. I use AP flour to reduce the stickiness when I roll it out, but trying to pick it up to put on the pizza pan, it crumbles apart. Anyone have any advice?

About a month ago, I made a sour dough starter. I've since been trying to perfect my pizza dough using the sour dough. I'm still not there yet, but it is very tasty.

My sour dough started with 1 cup whole wheat flour, and a little over 1/2 cup water. I added water to it by the tablespoon to get the starter at the right consistency. I feed it with whole wheat flour, and water measured the same way.

My pizza dough is 1 cup all purpose flour and 1 cup of the sourdough, 3 tablespoons of olive oil, plus salt and pepper to taste. The crust is sticky, but crumbly. I use AP flour to reduce the stickiness when I roll it out, but trying to pick it up to put on the pizza pan, it crumbles apart. Anyone have any advice?
I’m not the pizza dough expert, but I‘ve made my fair share in different ways and I’m fairly successful with sourdough. Question- how long are you letting this ferment? Most use of starter is a small percentage to prove the dough. Also the consistency of your starter could be adding water to your dough. In the hot and humid weather less starter is needed, such as 25g instead of 50 for a 500g loaf. Also I wouldn’t use much more olive oil than 1 Tbs it adds flavor but too mush will essentially enrich the dough changing the texture and rise. Finally if you can get it 00 pizza flour really does make a difference. When I acquired some the dough handled beautifully for hand stretching. I hope that helps.

My recipe isn't a standard pizza dough recipe but makes a decent 8" Neopolitan-style crust. 15g sourdough starter (originated from SF bread maker), 112g water, 1t Caputo yeast, 2g honey, 3.6g olive oil, 20g Manitoba flour, 140g '0 Nuevo Super flour, 3.6g salt. I mix the first five things together to get the yeast activated, then make sure the dry ingredients are well mixed before adding. Let it rise several times and work every 30 minutes for 90 to 120 minutes. Refrigerate for use the next day to improve the sourdough tones, but shorter or longer times have worked also.

I keep dried chunks of my sourdough starter in a vacuum-sealed pint Mason jar in my freezer. If my starter in the fridge goes bad, or I ignore it by not routinely feeding it, I just discard and pull out a new shard to start a new batch. I also save off more dried shards in the freezer from this new batch.

Last edited:
Thanks! I make the dough in the morning before work, and let it ferment on the counter until I get home, so 9ish hours. It doesn't rise like regular yeast does. I'll try making the dough the night before, and, I'll reduce the olive oil.
8-10 hours is about right for the bulk ferment, then a rest in the fridge overnight or up to 2 days gives time for the flavor to be more developed.

Last edited:
I haven't baked a pizza in a long time, but thinking of trying it tonight. I've got this crazy idea in my head to use cottage cheese (with a little garlic and onion powder) instead of sauce, and have sauce on the side to dunk the slices. Toppings will be pepperoni and jalapenos, and maybe a sliced tomato if I have any ripe. It should taste like a calzone. Anybody tried something like this? The main problem I can see is if it's too messy and the slices fall apart.

I haven't baked a pizza in a long time, but thinking of trying it tonight. I've got this crazy idea in my head to use cottage cheese (with a little garlic and onion powder) instead of sauce, and have sauce on the side to dunk the slices. Toppings will be pepperoni and jalapenos, and maybe a sliced tomato if I have any ripe. It should taste like a calzone. Anybody tried something like this? The main problem I can see is if it's too messy and the slices fall apart.
I bet it would be good, but I'm a cottage cheese fan. I can also see ricotta instead of cottage cheese being good with this as well.

I bet it would be good, but I'm a cottage cheese fan. I can also see ricotta instead of cottage cheese being good with this as well.
I tried it. Cottage cheese, a sprinkle of granulated garlic, Italian hard salami, sliced fresh jalapenos, oregano, and smoked provolone cheese. It was the worst crust I've ever made, or at least the worst that I can remember, but the toppings were good. I liked it better when dunked in pizza sauce, but it was good without too. I'll try it again soon, but probably not the very next time I make pizza.

I tried it. Cottage cheese, a sprinkle of granulated garlic, Italian hard salami, sliced fresh jalapenos, oregano, and smoked provolone cheese. It was the worst crust I've ever made, or at least the worst that I can remember, but the toppings were good. I liked it better when dunked in pizza sauce, but it was good without too. I'll try it again soon, but probably not the very next time I make pizza.
I see you're in Rochester, have you been to Pasquale's? I've only been there a couple times, but I do like their pizza. Better than any pizza I've had out here in California, more like what I was used to back in NY.

Last edited:
Since you're in Rochester have you been to Pasquale's? I've only been there a couple times, but I do like their pizza. Better than any pizza I've had out here in California, and more like what I was used to back in NY.
Yes, we don't get it very often but Wife and I both love Pasquale's pizza.

Back