The Home Made Pizza Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What makes you say that?
Maybe I’m just being mean! 😆

Now seriously, who knows what metals the average metal peel is made of? As one shovels it under a cooked pie the contact with the stone material wears away a bit of metal (that is one way various implements are sharpened, against stone or grit and that metal is left on the stone. The next pie lands on it raw and what happens to the metal? It sticks to the dough. Will it harm your health right away? Probably not. Is it possible to accumulate in one’s system over time? Yes that is possible. Metal peel on baking steel I would think is less of a risk, but pizza makers in my local tend to use wooden peels. Just a thought.

Thanks for being worried but isn't most common peels metal
IMG_3331.jpeg

I’m not sure which is more common, but I would think the wooden peel came first both have their pros and cons according to this. https://www.pizzabien.com/blogs/news/metal-vs-wood-pizza-peel-whats-the-difference
Cheers!

Maybe I’m just being mean! 😆

Now seriously, who knows what metals the average metal peel is made of? As one shovels it under a cooked pie the contact with the stone material wears away a bit of metal (that is one way various implements are sharpened, against stone or grit and that metal is left on the stone. The next pie lands on it raw and what happens to the metal? It sticks to the dough. Will it harm your health right away? Probably not. Is it possible to accumulate in one’s system over time? Yes that is possible. Metal peel on baking steel I would think is less of a risk, but pizza makers in my local tend to use wooden peels. Just a thought.
Yeah but, you're assuming there are no regulations regarding material use in manufacturing products intended for food contact. I can assure you, that is not the case. If the peel is made of aluminum, one of the most abundant metals in the earth's crust, there is no toxicity concern. If it's made from stainless steel, it's mostly iron, some nickel, and a bit of chromium, none of which pose a risk, unless you happen to have a nickel sensitivity. Do you perhaps feel this way because its most likely imported from China?

View attachment 851231
I’m not sure which is more common, but I would think the wooden peel came first both have their pros and cons according to this. https://www.pizzabien.com/blogs/news/metal-vs-wood-pizza-peel-whats-the-difference
Cheers!
I think wood is more common. I work in the mall pizza shops in high school and college, they were all wood thinking back. That being said there are still plenty of pans and screens being used as well in those ovens.
As long as the products are NSF I am sure that there is little concern about them grinding off on the stone and contaminating the food.

Yeah but, you're assuming there are no regulations regarding material use in manufacturing products intended for food contact. I can assure you, that is not the case. If the peel is made of aluminum, one of the most abundant metals in the earth's crust, there is no toxicity concern. If it's made from stainless steel, it's mostly iron, some nickel, and a bit of chromium, none of which pose a risk, unless you happen to have a nickel sensitivity. Do you perhaps feel this way because its most likely imported from China?
Maybe you have seen this, or not. Yeah hearing about lead contamination in things like children’s toys and such dollar store finds from China probably shouldn’t be in anyone’s kitchen. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ey are,composition and other important organs.

Now to get back on topic I would really dig a slice right now. I just fed my sourdough starter can make a pizza soon with my stone on the grill and wooden peel, which I am skillful enough to use.

Maybe you have seen this, or not. Yeah hearing about lead contamination in things like children’s toys and such dollar store finds from China probably shouldn’t be in anyone’s kitchen. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/ar...ey are,composition and other important organs.

Now to get back on topic I would really dig a slice right now. I just fed my sourdough starter can make a pizza soon with my stone on the grill and wooden peel, which I am skillful enough to use.
Yeah but, "Long-term exposure." I don't understand your paranoia about a stainless steel pizza oven and a stainless- or aluminum peel. In other news, I've thrown out my tinfoil hat, because aloominum.

Ofcourse wooden peel is original and likeley more common. I think what i meant is that metal peels are getting more and more popular. Especially perforated ones.
But what about smaller diameter turning peels. Isnt those mostly metal?

Yeah but, "Long-term exposure." I don't understand your paranoia about a stainless steel pizza oven and a stainless- or aluminum peel. In other news, I've thrown out my tinfoil hat, because aloominum.
Look, I shared a thought, you asked for more about it, which I shared. I’m not in the tin foil hat club I’m in the let’s stay healthy club. Did you watch the video with the sound up? I’d be surprised if you would eat a spoonful of iron filings or aluminum powder willingly even if it was mixed up in a beer, a very good Hefe with banana out the wahzoo! You just wouldn’t, at least I hope you wouldn’t.

Look, I shared a thought, you asked for more about it, which I shared. I’m not in the tin foil hat club I’m in the let’s stay healthy club. Did you watch the video with the sound up? I’d be surprised if you would eat a spoonful of iron filings or aluminum powder willingly even if it was mixed up in a beer, a very good Hefe with banana out the wahzoo! You just wouldn’t, at least I hope you wouldn’t.
In that line of thought, how about a spoon full of sawdust or possibly stone dust. Personally I don't want a spoonful of any of it mixed into anything.
Thankfully, we are not talking about such quantity. We are talking about trace amouts getting worn off over time. Depending on hardness of the 2 materials the stone may be the material getting worn and not the metal(though I wager on the metal). I am sure that if we were to really measure it through a controlled test over time we would find that wood is leaving far more material in the process.
I am not disagreeing with you on which would be preferable in any nominal quantity(none of them), rather I am of the thought that even over an extended period of time that the potential exposure of those trace scrapings to be negligible and not of a concern to me.

Personally, I focus my food angst toward a truly prolific poison that is far too commonplace in many kitchens and should never be used but finds it's way in and onto recipes and otherwise healthy foods rendering them both disgusting, inedible, and removing any healthy aspects that the food may have previously held. This enemy is of course the demonic seed of Satan itself: Mayonnaise!

In that line of thought, how about a spoon full of sawdust or possibly stone dust. Personally I don't want a spoonful of any of it mixed into anything.
Thankfully, we are not talking about such quantity. We are talking about trace amouts getting worn off over time.
Oh gawd, I hope this is the last of this discussion, (it will be for me) the heat of most baking stones would turn any particles of wood into ash which of course in a wood fired oven there is plenty of that to begin with. We agree on the adulteration of processed food. Even the organically produced whole foods are contaminated, but the levels have tested as much less.
IMG_4299.jpeg
IMG_6596.jpeg

Beer and pizza are great together.

Oh gawd, I hope this is the last of this discussion, (it will be for me) the heat of most baking stones would turn any particles of wood into ash which of course in a wood fired oven there is plenty of that to begin with. We agree on the adulteration of processed food. Even the organically produced whole foods are contaminated, but the levels have tested as much less.
View attachment 851273View attachment 851275
Beer and pizza are great together.
I just finished dinner, but damn i would still have slice of that🤤

Sorry, the duh was meant in jest.

We had an old truck that leaked oil pretty bad, and it was parked in one spot I. The yard. The grass died in that area and weeds struggled to get a foot hold. That is the limit of my first hand knowledge although I have been told that yes it will kill everything in the soil.

View attachment 851193View attachment 851194
Big Horn pellet pizza oven arrived yesterday. Waiting on my pizza peel so I hope to have actual finished pies posted soon.

Anyone using this pizza oven have tips?
I’d be careful using it on that table. I’m concerned about the heat on the glass table top. But I don’t know anything about the oven, it may be insulated well enough?

Hello, I'm looking for a fool proof sourdough pizza crust recipe.
I have been making sourdough English muffins now for quite a few years at the request of the wife, but these pie's look so good.

Attachments

• 20240630_160539.jpg
    20240630_160539.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240630_180435.jpg
    20240630_180435.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240630_181238.jpg
    20240630_181238.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240630_182047.jpg
    20240630_182047.jpg