THE Hangover Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rowan57

Reaction score
Holy ****, my hangovers suck big time. I used to be able to drink myself unconscious and wake up fresh as a daisy. Now I have a few beers of an evening and even with a couple of pints of water afterward I am hungover as hell all the next day.

Key example - last night, 3 pints of bitter (4.2%), one bottle of Kwak (8.5%) & one bottle of Saison (6.2%), pleasantly buzzed but not hammered. Plenty of water after.

Went to sleep around 10pm, woke up at 4am (also a new unpleasant side effect of drinking) and dozed on and off until I had to get up. Stomach off today and generally very lethargic / feeling crap.

I need sleep :( How much do hangovers suck. Why can't I sleep after drinking now, doesn't that defeat the point of drinking!

I usually get a hangover pretty easily. An Saison is not the best beer to choose to not have a hangover. They usually have a lot of fusels which can lead to hangovers.

For me it's almost a crapshoot if I'm going to feel ok or not. I think my best bet, besides not drinking too much, is having a B complex and some water or better yet, gatorade when I go to bed. I don't' care for gatorade, and I am usually too full for drinking much of anything, so I drink when I get up to pee.

The past few years I've learned to pace myself and drink a little bit over a long period of time.

And the older you get the worse it gets. Your bodies way of telling you to learn the lessons it has been trying to each you over the years. "you will learn or I will ratchet up the pain"

http://www.businessweek.com/article...angover-cure-berocca-comes-to-the-u-dot-s-dot

I've tried it and it works. Probably not for a really bad hangover, but it'll handle a 6-pack hangover OK. It takes about 1/2 hour to kick in and you're feeling pretty good.

I had a company event last week and I had to give a presentation at 8AM the next morning. I woke up at 6AM feeling like crap, but was good to go by 8AM.

I can't say they've gotten worse, but it takes less to get there. I just try to drink water and maybe eat a little something before bed. Usually leaving some buffer time before quitting drinking and actually going to bed helps some too.

I've also been getting the "waking up around 4am". Boo.

I bet it was just one of those beers that did it for you, either the 8.5 or the 6.2 . I would save brews of those strengths for the night of just one or two beers. Had you stayed on the bitter you may have been ok.
My home brew don't give hangovers five or six bottles of 4-5% leave me ok.

I usually get a hangover pretty easily. An Saison is not the best beer to choose to not have a hangover. They usually have a lot of fusels which can lead to hangovers.

For me it's almost a crapshoot if I'm going to feel ok or not. I think my best bet, besides not drinking too much, is having a B complex and some water or better yet, gatorade when I go to bed. I don't' care for gatorade, and I am usually too full for drinking much of anything, so I drink when I get up to pee.

The past few years I've learned to pace myself and drink a little bit over a long period of time.

Thanks Homer, good tips! I typically just drink water, I could try something like gatorade to help. I had friends at university that swore by a vitamin c tablet before bed to help.

http://www.businessweek.com/article...angover-cure-berocca-comes-to-the-u-dot-s-dot

I've tried it and it works. Probably not for a really bad hangover, but it'll handle a 6-pack hangover OK. It takes about 1/2 hour to kick in and you're feeling pretty good.

I had a company event last week and I had to give a presentation at 8AM the next morning. I woke up at 6AM feeling like crap, but was good to go by 8AM.

One of the guys at work uses Berocca a lot, worth a go!

I can't say they've gotten worse, but it takes less to get there. I just try to drink water and maybe eat a little something before bed. Usually leaving some buffer time before quitting drinking and actually going to bed helps some too.

I've also been getting the "waking up around 4am". Boo.

Yeah I try and do the same , finish drinking at least 1 hour before bed. The waking up bit is worst, Red Wine is horrendous for me, I can count the hours until I wake up by the number of glasses I drink more or less - 2 glasses, 2 hours, 3 glasses 3 hours etc.

I bet it was just one of those beers that did it for you, either the 8.5 or the 6.2 . I would save brews of those strengths for the night of just one or two beers. Had you stayed on the bitter you may have been ok.
My home brew don't give hangovers five or six bottles of 4-5% leave me ok.

Yep you could well be right. I typically don't drink that much on a sunday night, and tend to only drink a small beer and a higher abc beer if so.

The hangovers that bother me most are the mid-day ones. Ones where you have a beer or two with lunch, or at a sporting event, or when you are pretending to be Remmy and then a couple hours later when the beer has worn off start feeling lethargic and overall crappy. For some reason I do not recover from those and pretty much have to end my day unless I do some maintenance drinking the rest of the day.

The other ones are the persistant hangovers where every hour or so you have to take a half hour nap just to be able to function. I miss how I could drink with near impunity when in college.

The hangovers that bother me most are the mid-day ones. Ones where you have a beer or two with lunch, or at a sporting event, or when you are pretending to be Remmy and then a couple hours later when the beer has worn off start feeling lethargic and overall crappy. For some reason I do not recover from those and pretty much have to end my day unless I do some maintenance drinking the rest of the day.

The other ones are the persistant hangovers where every hour or so you have to take a half hour nap just to be able to function. I miss how I could drink with near impunity when in college.

I hate when I want to have a couple during the day and just end up feeling sleepy afterwards. It's like I have to either have 1 or keep on going until I'm smacked (which I don't always want if day-drinking).

I had 5 Sam Adam Rebel IPA's
&
2 Black Velvet Pickle back shots
before dinner ( I at dinner late at 9 pm)
woke up on couch at 12:15 and went to bed until 6. I am at work now and my head is killing me. Feels like my eyeballs are on fire!
I never had this issue 20 years ago!

my FIL claims he's never had a hangover in his life. my wife & I call BS on that one.

I hate wine hangovers the most. it seems that if you drink water, you're instantly drunk with a hangover feeling.

I drank three 5% session ipas the other night and woke up with a headache. WTF has happened to my body.

I try to go from higher abv to lower. Most of the time it helps, but not always. I just wish advil offered a subscription service. I did read that drinking at night actually has the opposite effect that I always thought. It doesn't help you sleep, it prevents you from getting good sleep.

I hate wine hangovers the most. it seems that if you drink water, you're instantly drunk with a hangover feeling.

I went hunting with a coworker a couple weekends ago who claimed to have never gotten a hangover, or even a headache, in his entire life.

Normally I'd call bull$#!t on a statement like that, but I personally watched him drink most of a tequila bottle by himself and many beers, pass out drunk (we had to carry him to bed), and wake up a mere 4 hours later to go hunting wide awake and chipper as anyone I've ever seen. It was unreal.

my FIL claims he's never had a hangover in his life. my wife & I call BS on that one.

Agreed. The first and last time I ever drank a gallon of wine was ten years ago, I was bed ridden the following day. It hurt to move. My girlfriend - now wife tried to nurse me back to life to no avail. I ended up telling her to go on without me, turned on the college movie channel and just stared at the tv.

The only time I have a hard time now is if company chain smokes that night or I have too many different types of drinks. But yeah. Funk wine.

My go to in the morning is pedialite (it's used to rehydrate baby's with diarrhea). One quart of that and 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I'm ready to start all over. It's like gatoraid on steroids when it comes to electrolytes. Any time we go away with the neighbors a case of this gets packed first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed on the red wine hangovers/headaches.

As for beer, our guys night out events are well-practiced... pint of beer, pint of water, repeat. It also helps to begin hydrating early. While I'm not sure of the B complex as a hangover helper, I will say its always part of the "pre-game warm up."

Eat a packet of dry yeast before going to bed & plenty of water. Yes, it's a lot like eating sand, but you'll wake up feeling great. You body metabolizes vitamin b to process the alcohol out of your system. Yeast is vitamin b. It only works if done the night before.
Finally found a good use for those gold packets of "brewers yeast".

I am sure that it's my homebrew that makes me fart (swimbo says I should leave the room, I say it would not be worth coming in ) .

Would a packet of yeast either tear your arse apart or replicate the 1812 overture ?

My go to in the morning is pedialite (it's used to rehydrate baby's with diarrhea). One quart of that and 2 cups of coffee in the morning and I'm ready to start all over. It's like gatoraid on steroids when it comes to electrolytes. Any time we go away with the neighbors a case of this gets packed first.

we used that in the steel yard in the summer.:rockin:

The whole waking up at 4am thing is pretty precise, I woke up at 3:52 this morning. Now 4:17. I took a rehydration thing before I went to bed last night and I'm not really sure if has helped, we'll see during the day. I will probably get back to sleep on the sofa in front of the tv which would be nice a this point.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

My hangovers are def worse... I could polish a bottle of rum in my college days and and some years after until I gave it up. I still dabble in some rum now in then, but usually its beer or a few glasses of scotch or Irish whiskey. I did have some moonshine last week, and for the love of God, I cant remember the first 3 episodes of Justified I watched on Amazon Prime... Or the pasta I made.

Eat a packet of dry yeast before going to bed & plenty of water. Yes, it's a lot like eating sand, but you'll wake up feeling great. You body metabolizes vitamin b to process the alcohol out of your system. Yeast is vitamin b. It only works if done the night before.
Finally found a good use for those gold packets of "brewers yeast".

I still think that's mr sam adams Fing with us

Holy ****, my hangovers suck big time. I used to be able to drink myself unconscious and wake up fresh as a daisy. Now I have a few beers of an evening and even with a couple of pints of water afterward I am hungover as hell all the next day.

Key example - last night, 3 pints of bitter (4.2%), one bottle of Kwak (8.5%) & one bottle of Saison (6.2%), pleasantly buzzed but not hammered. Plenty of water after.

Went to sleep around 10pm, woke up at 4am (also a new unpleasant side effect of drinking) and dozed on and off until I had to get up. Stomach off today and generally very lethargic / feeling crap.

I need sleep :( How much do hangovers suck. Why can't I sleep after drinking now, doesn't that defeat the point of drinking!

I know these feels. In college we would drink Wednesday-Sunday...sometimes drinking enough to not remember how we got home or just not making it home. Next day? Clear as can be and feeling well enough to do it all over again!

Now? I have a few IPAs and a pale ale or two and i wake up hungover. I can get rid of the hangover quick...but i see the trend that is starting to set in...

I only ever feel tired, sometimes a tiny headache. Except one New Year's Eve. Made my own scorpion bowls, and since I don't have my own fancy bowl, drank them from a big mixing bowl. Holy crap! I finally understood what a hangover was.

Not hungover today, but baby awake since 230 and has pink eye, so no school for her. So tired, head hurts. Tried berocca, nice boast of energy and is getting me through the day. Did not get rid of head ache, but at least got me moving. Thanks for the tip whoever posted it

I know these feels. In college we would drink Wednesday-Sunday...sometimes drinking enough to not remember how we got home or just not making it home.

My dorm roommate and I used to joke about having "vampire weekends" during the winter. Go out Friday night and stay out all night, sleep until 4:30 or 5:00 the next day, which is past sunset, then repeat.

For about a sixteen year period my job involved a lot of exhibition work every second year, these days where long and very tiring , the evenings were spent at the bar till very late. I remember one particular morning after a very heavy session, a meeting with customers and my managing director, I felt so ill , I was hot and clammy, shivering a little, feeling like I was going to throw up and scared stiff that this conduct was going to get me the sack. After the meeting I was called by the M.D. Expecting the worse, he said well done , he said that he was worried for a while as he could not see where my white shirt ended and my neck began and then closed with, now get out of here it's all ok so long as the job gets done. I was real lucky !

I got so drunk at our last office xmas party I have a 7 hour gap in my life. I remember being in one bar at about 8pm, then next thing I know its 4 in the morning and I a) think I'm in London (I'm in Cambridge), B) try to get a taxi to London (£120, no ta) C) try to get a train home (no train station where I live, long wait in the freezing cold outside the train station which is closed), I eventually manage to get a taxi home (£60, London seems very reasonable after that).

This was caused by 2 bottles of wine with dinner, then beer, then spirits. Blergh.

I go to bed but lose my front door key in the process. I wake up a couple of hours later and realise I am meant to be at work. I get a taxi eventually into work, get to work, realise I am still fully hammered, lay down on the floor and go to sleep in the office. I wake up at 3pm and decide I can drive my car home. I get home and feel like death. I then go to sleep for ½ an hour, wake up, make myself sick, have a shower, then my friend picks me up to go to London for my other friends xmas party (hence the brain confusion the night before). I have a great night out in London, a lot less to drink and I remember it all! I was tired for a whole week.

The topic of conversation at the office meeting about this years xmas party was apparently ME and how drunk I might get.

Yeah I try and do the same , finish drinking at least 1 hour before bed. The waking up bit is worst, Red Wine is horrendous for me, I can count the hours until I wake up by the number of glasses I drink more or less - 2 glasses, 2 hours, 3 glasses 3 hours etc.

Well, it's simple, really...

Have 8 glasses and you'll have a full night's sleep :D

Went to a Christmas party Saturday night.
I had a 10% imperial stout bomber
3 session IPAs at 5%ea
and a shot of bourbon.

Woke up the next morning, slight headache, but felt really tired still and not really in the mood to eat anything. Figured it was just a bit of a hangover, so I drank one of those "Berocca" drinks mentioned on page 1. About 30 minutes later, my small hangover had somehow escalated into something resembling a college night with a bottle of vodka. I proceeded to puke twice. I couldn't get the smell or taste of the Berocca drink out of my mouth for about 6 hours, no matter how many times I brushed my teeth.

Looked up the ingredients, and it contains Guarana extract, which is in 5 hour energy drink and has also made a hangover considerably worse for me. So if anyone has had bad experiences with 5 hour energy, I would stay away from Berocca.

Go out to a Homebrew club Xmas party. Have a few homebrews and a sampler of the brewery we were at. Go home and drink a glass of water while playing WoW.

Another beer sounds better than water?? Ok. Drink another beer instead.

Wake up at 4:30 to down a B vitamin and some ibuprofen. I wasn't really sick the next day, but darn close!

2 back to back Xmas parties last week, both work. First one with Customer, very high end, lots of $100 bottles of Champagne and nice wine. Jaeger bombs galore. Finish up about 12.30, mother****er of a hangover the next day. Next night (with existing hangover) food = disaster (inedible, full refund for 75 people), wine horrendous, lots of Budweiser (between 7pm and 4am probably 20 330ml bottles). Stopped drinking probably at 2 and was on the way to sober when I got into bed at 6am. No real hangover when I got up at 1.30pm! 2 day drinking is the way to go (and don't get drunk on wine/champagne).

Jagerbombs always got me the next day. That and the fact that I was drinking nothing but PBR in between the bombs.

Back