The Grainfather vs Blichmann BrewEasy (Electric)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grzebyk26

Reaction score
Hey guys I am looking to change over to an all electric system. I am having some trouble deciding between the Grainfather and the Blichmann BrewEasy so I thought I would start this thread and get some help from you guys. Any input at all is greatly appreciated!!!!

I considered the breweasy but quickly decided to go with the Grainfather.Price of course was a big factor but also the simplicity of the Grainfather really hooked me.Not to mention the size difference between the 2 systems.What bugged me about the Breweasy were all the add on costs like the cart which is really needed but not includedThe Grainfather comes complete out of the box and includes a wicked CF chiller with no other added costs.

For all the extra costs involved with buying a Breweasy the question that must be asked is "will it make better beer?"....I highly doubt it.

RMCB

Great point! I am really leaning toward the Grandfather system. The simplicity does seem really nice. How do you like the system? Is it easy to clean?

Great point! I am really leaning toward the Grandfather system. The simplicity does seem really nice. How do you like the system? Is it easy to clean?

I love the Grainfather and I do not hesitate to say it is by far the best money I ever spent on any hobby.If it had been on the market when I first got into brewing I would have bought one.Cleaning is super easy,just give it a good spray out after the brew is done to remove any debris such as hops/irish moss etc then put a couple gallons of water in along with a table spoon of PBW or even Oxyclean and let it heat up to 140 then give it a good scrub and then use the pump to clean the recirculation arm and the chiller then dump it out at give it a rinse.Repeat with fresh water and no cleaner and you are done.

Another person mentioned the Braumeister.While it is in some ways superior with it's control unit being the obvious advantage to me it has negatives.They include a finicky drain tap that begs to be modified as well as the recirculation which goes from the bottom to the top as opposed to the top to the bottom on the Grainfather.For me the big problem with the Braumeister was the 220 power.You either have to cut and modify the plug if you have an available 220 power outlet or you have to buy a power inverter which means spending more money.Sparging with the Braumeister is also IMO an accident waiting to happen compared to the Grainfather.

For me the Grainfather was a no brainer over the Braumeister in that I could plug it into the outlet on the front of my stove and brew in my kitchen right next to the kitchen sink where I get the water for mashing/sparging/cooling.All this for less than half the price of a Braumeister or even less than the BrewEasy.

Buy a Grainfather...you wont regret it.

RMCB

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. It looks like I will be ordering The Grainfather sometime this week. Ill post some of brew day pictures. Thanks again.

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. It looks like I will be ordering The Grainfather sometime this week. Ill post some of brew day pictures. Thanks again.

Don't forget to look into the Brau Supply system too. I'm curently saving my pennies for this one. You can go 110v or 220v and they use a more advanced controller than the Grainfather. It also seems like with the two 1500w heating elements you might get some faster heating times.

I don't have any hands on experience with any of these systems, but I was looking into all these systems as well and decided to go with the Grainfather. Main reasons were cost and not wanting to have to use 220v. I want to be able to use it in my kitchen or in the basement or wherever I want. From all accounts it works very well too, just as well as the others.

I don't have any hands on experience with any of these systems, but I was looking into all these systems as well and decided to go with the Grainfather. Main reasons were cost and not wanting to have to use 220v. I want to be able to use it in my kitchen or in the basement or wherever I want. From all accounts it works very well too, just as well as the others.

The 220 issue sealed it for me.I really liked the Braumeister in that it was truly plug and play for the mash as well as the boil once you are done with the sparge.German engineering is pretty much is the best there is with regards to build quality and the life of the unit...it is built to last.The 220 power is something I did not want to deal with via paying an electrician to install or by buying a power inverter not to mention modifying the plug.

That being said I bought a Grainfather and I have no regrets.The boil is good enough and it makes damn good beer...far better than my old 3 vessel system which was 2 coolers and an 8 gallon kettle boiled on my electric stove.

RMCB

Don't forget to look into the Brau Supply system too. I'm curently saving my pennies for this one. You can go 110v or 220v and they use a more advanced controller than the Grainfather. It also seems like with the two 1500w heating elements you might get some faster heating times.

^^^ This. People are probably tired if hearing me say this, but you can get a Brau Supply system (minus the chiller) for $330 less than the Grainfather, and the Brau Supply system has significant advantages like dual 1500 watt elements and an 11 gallon kettle that you can do a full volume mash in for many beers. I hate to see people spend more money than they need to.

I just ordered The Grainfather along with the graincoat and the sparge water heater. Ill will keep you guys updated! Thanks for the input!

I have the 5 gallon breweasy (220v) and love it. I feel like i'm still part of the brewing process and the equipment is top-notch. I couldn't be happier.

Back