The good and bad of Canadian culture

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mr x

Reaction score
First the good. This is a delicious beer which was actually on sale at the liquor store:
98ss54.jpg

qzkm0h.jpg

Well worth the money.

Now the bad. This is just plain retarded:

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/new-brunswick/story/2007/08/23/nb-pigsfound.html

They also managed to lose 2 of them. A quote from the farmer:

"They used to hang cattle rustlers. It's a shame they can't — don't — still do that."

And on a final note, a bomber of Rogue Shakespear Stout is $18 a bottle at the only restaurant in town that stocks it.:eek: :eek:

Can you imagine? 22 squirming piglets in a compact car - at least 1000 lbs! The whole thing is beyond description.

That MacAuslan is very good - I'll have to get some more. Very fruity - plum/raisin from maybe a 120 or 150 crystal.

Oooh -- I haven't seen their Vintage Ale yet! I will have to get on the Alberta Liquor Guide website and see if anyone in Calgary is stocking it.

FWIW, I think McAuslan Brewing is one of the most under-rated breweries in Canada. I haven't had all their line-up, but I have loved almost everything I have tried that they brew. Their St. Ambroise Oatmeal Stout is still one of my all time favourite stouts (I like it more than the Shakespeare Stout, which is also one of my favs).

I would love to visit Montreal sometime and see the brewery.

Darn -- just checked online. Nobody in Alberta stocks this beer. :(

Regarding the pigs, that is an absurd story. Only in Canada, eh?

Once in Saskatchewan, I saw a farmer transporting a herd of hefers in an old yellow school bus with most of the seats removed. His family was sitting in the remaining seats along side the cows. Like the pig car, it couldn't have been very fragrant in there. :D

That oatmeal stout... I use that as my goal for my perfect oatmeal stout and I just haven't been able to nail it. My local pub has that on tap with beer gas and I have at least one pint of that before I hit the real ale from the beer engines.

FlyGuy said:
FWIW, I think McAuslan Brewing is one of the most under-rated breweries in Canada. I haven't had all their line-up, but I have loved almost everything I have tried that they brew.
Agreed. I haven't had anything from their brewery I didn't like.

FlyGuy said:
Darn -- just checked online. Nobody in Alberta stocks this beer. :(

Regarding the pigs, that is an absurd story. Only in Canada, eh?

Once in Saskatchewan, I saw a farmer transporting a herd of hefers in an old yellow school bus with most of the seats removed. His family was sitting in the remaining seats along side the cows. Like the pig car, it couldn't have been very fragrant in there. :D
Me thinks that translates into a family Sunday drive in the south...:drunk:

homebrewer_99 said:
Not if you saw the *&@$%#@! weather we are getting! Major blizzard over the weekend and the highways are either closed or only recommended for essential travel. :(

Bizarre weather here this time of year -- last weekend we had sunny weather and it was in the mid-70s (23 C).

FlyGuy said:
Not if you saw the *&@$%#@! weather we are getting! Major blizzard over the weekend and the highways are either closed or only recommended for essential travel. :(

Bizarre weather here this time of year -- last weekend we had sunny weather and it was in the mid-70s (23 C).

Yeah, sorry to hear about you guys getting hit like that. I posted yesterday about how nice our weather is and then I heard about Calgary. Felt a bit guilty about bragging when you're hurting. I guess we'll get that weather in a few days.

Fingers said:
Yeah, sorry to hear about you guys getting hit like that. I posted yesterday about how nice our weather is and then I heard about Calgary. Felt a bit guilty about bragging when you're hurting. I guess we'll get that weather in a few days.
Actually, I prefer to get big dumps of snow this time of year. At least if it comes in April, you know it won't stick around long. If it comes in December or January, that's when it hurts.

Glad to hear you guys are getting some nice weather. Hopefully this storm plays itself out before it gets very far to the east.

Beautiful weather here today. I was out on the patio at my folks place, did a bit of a bbq and got all the fly gear cleaned up and fitted out for the season - trout starts next weekend AND the spring steelhead are finally in the rivers! :ban:

homebrewer_99 said:

What could be more fun than a carload of piglets on a Sunday afternoon?

Driving with a carload of piglets and a HB between your legs. :D

FlyGuy said:

Last weekend I was out brewing in balmy weather and this weekend we got our blizzard. A foot of snow on the ground a half hour's drive away from me. The Trans Canada highway was closed to the Ontario border and various other highways closed around the area. My highway to town wasn't closed, but it was a skating rink. Today it's completely clean and dry.

Springtime on the Canadian prairies.

Back