The Golden Compass

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
= worst movie of the year. Absolutely terrible. Story was forced and overly complex. Didn't flow at all. No character building. The director pushed the actors way too hard. Tried hard (too hard) to ride the train that lord of the rings, narnia and harry potter started. Great, great list of actors, but their script and directing was just terrible. The little girl who stars in it is the worse child actor I've ever seen. </rant>

So is there an agenda being pushed by all the way too favorable reviews coming out on this movie?

Ó Flannagáin said:
= worst movie of the year. Absolutely terrible. Story was forced and overly complex. Didn't flow at all. No character building. The director pushed the actors way too hard. Tried hard (too hard) to ride the train that lord of the rings, narnia and harry potter started. Great, great list of actors, but their script and directing was just terrible. The little girl who stars in it is the worse child actor I've ever seen. </rant>

Whats it about? Whos In it? Did anyone go out and see I LEGEND?

ma2brew said:
So is there an agenda being pushed by all the way too favorable reviews coming out on this movie?

Dude, it's got like a 40% at rotten tomatoes... any good reviews are bull****, go see for yourself. I'm not religious and care less about the strike against. I went in with high hopes and was extreemmmmmeeley dissapointed

Ó Flannagáin said:
Dude, it's got like a 40% at rotten tomatoes... any good reviews are bull****, go see for yourself. I'm not religious and care less about the strike against. I went in with high hopes and was extreemmmmmeeley dissapointed

Isn't it a kid's movie?

ma2brew said:

Meaning, is there a stirring of the pot to compensate because the movie sucks?

I find it hard to believe a promotions company would do that. :rolleyes: .

Ize

OFlan-

A large part of the story was changed in order to not upset the right-

The real book is about anti religion. Please read the book and see what the author tried to do.

MikeFlynn74 said:
OFlan-

The real book is about anti religion. Please read the book and see what the author tried to do.

I read the whole series when they came out, preordered and all. I was an obsessed little teenager.

It's not necessarily anti-religion. I know the guy is an outspoken atheist, and you can tell he's not exactly CS Lewis in them, but it's like the Archbishop of Canterbury said: the Church they're opposing is one that deserves to be destroyed, and the 'God' they rise up against in the book is a malevolent one.

I've only heard what Rowan Williams is saying secondhand, but I'd be interested to read it in its entirety. Me, I'm going to reread the books before I see the film.

I guess what I'm saying is, it's not necessarily attacking religion or the Christian God per se, but attacking corruption in the church, absolutist religion, etc.

Kai said:
...It's not necessarily anti-religion. I know the guy is an outspoken atheist...it's not necessarily attacking religion or the Christian God per se, but attacking corruption in the church, absolutist religion, etc./quote]I have no idea what the book(s) is/are about. I only just saw the previews. Looks to me like an OK Sci-Fi/Fantasy movie.

As far as a religious connection, stating the truth about organized religion is not an attack, IMO. :D

Flame on...;)

Air Pirate said:
im reading the book right now and it has its fair share of shortcomings too.

its kind of like having a cool idea, but not enough talent to make the story work.

That's exactly what I picked up from the movie. Very cool idea, but the way the story was told was just terrible... and the script didn't help at all.

Kai said:
It's not necessarily anti-religion. I guess what I'm saying is, it's not necessarily attacking religion or the Christian God per se, but attacking corruption in the church, absolutist religion, etc.
I was under the impression that they killed God in this movie.

Wild said:
I was under the impression that they killed God in this movie.

The book was centered around that, yes. The movie, however, was not. Movie studios have to cater to a wide audience so they "soften" everything. The DaVinci Code implied Jesus had kids and that outraged a LOT of people - imagine the protests about a movie that killed God!

The movie was changed to reflect the "establishment" there are undertones that the goal is to overthrow a tyrannical ruler/government rather than God.

The author didn't mind this, and actually helped re-format the script. "It's about standing up against something bigger than yourself. That's what I wrote and that's what comes across in the movie, I think."

MikeFlynn74 said:
OFlan-

Not everyone on the right is christian and not all christians are on the right. The movie was changed in order to get the maximum box office dollars and offending a HUGE portion of the world isn't a good way to go about that.

It's all about green - not left or right.

Kevin Dean said:
The book was centered around that, yes. The movie, however, was not. Movie studios have to cater to a wide audience so they "soften" everything. The DaVinci Code implied Jesus had kids and that outraged a LOT of people - imagine the protests about a movie that killed God!

Although I see your point I would venture a guess that the underlying factor is not so much about offending people as it is losing sales. There are tons of movies out there, and one can find material that is offensive to any belief system really. That's just how I see it anyway. It's about the money, not the offense :D.

rdwj said:
Not everyone on the right is christian and not all christians are on the right. The movie was changed in order to get the maximum box office dollars and offending a HUGE portion of the world isn't a good way to go about that.

It's all about green - not left or right.

Lol, your post wasn't up when I was writing mine hehe. :D

zoebisch01 said:
Lol, your post wasn't up when I was writing mine hehe. :D

I do that sometimes too.

Just looked - 9 million - OUCH! Looks like the wide audience approach didn't help much!

Ó Flannagáin said:

So you went to the theater to see this movie and actually expected it to not blow?

This movie got filed into my 'rent only if the kids ask for it' file the first time I saw the commercial. I'll never see it, and I'm probably a better person for it. :D

It might have done better if they had killed god in it. Remember passion of the Christ? The jesus freaks paid more than anyone to go and protest it.

cheezydemon said:
It might have done better if they had killed god in it. Remember passion of the Christ? The jesus freaks paid more than anyone to go and protest it.

Ummm, I don't think you understand the situation very well. Christians had no problem with Passion of the Christ. Some Jewish groups complained because they thought they were shown in a poor light. Are you confusing your religions or is EVERYONE who believes in someting a "Jesus Freak" in your book?

Really don't care about the religion undertones of the flick. Wasn't my point at all. I'm a huge Narnia, Lord of the Rings buff and even enjoy some Harry Potter on occasion so the preview got me thinking I would enjoy this flick. Not so, not so. Worst fantasy film evar.

zoebisch01 said:
It's about the money, not the offense .

No, I agree totally. Movies by Michael Moore are profitable only because they are offensive so I see that point totally. But where public image directly relates to sales, it's not a smart move to offend people because it affects the bottom line. :)

Ó Flannagáin said:
Really don't care about the religion undertones of the flick. Wasn't my point at all. I'm a huge Narnia, Lord of the Rings buff and even enjoy some Harry Potter on occasion so the preview got me thinking I would enjoy this flick. Not so, not so. Worst fantasy film evar.
I like fantasy more than Sci-Fi, but a lot of it lately has really catered to little kids who really don't understand the subplots (if there are any) and terminology.

I really dislike the animation stuff Disney puts out. :mad:

I really like the LOTRs trilogy, but Narnia just looks like something I wouldn't enjoy.

Sounds like I'll wait for the Compass to come on satillite...thanks to all for the reviews. ;)

Narnia was cool. It wasn't amazing, but I really fell in love with the books when I was a kid. They actually made a good script for the film and the actors were great. Prince Caspian, the second narnia movie, comes out next summer and looks damn good as well.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Narnia was cool. It wasn't amazing, but I really fell in love with the books when I was a kid. They actually made a good script for the film and the actors were great. Prince Caspian, the second narnia movie, comes out next summer and looks damn good as well.

I enjoyed Narnia, but LOVED LotR. I haven't even seen all the Harry Potter movies, but thought the ones that I did see were fine. Unfortunately, when it comes to fantasy LotR > everything else. So, I don't expect to see anything on par with it again.

rdwj said:
Unfortunately, when it comes to fantasy LotR > everything else. So, I don't expect to see anything on par with it again.

Just to stoke some flames... If the "Wheel of Time" series ever made it onto the big screen I think it would give LOTR a run for it's money. The series was, in my opinion chess where Lord of the Rings (the entire series, Silmarilion onward) is tick-tac-toe.

Ó Flannagáin said:
Prince Caspian, the second narnia movie, comes out next summer and looks damn good as well.

I hadn't heard about that one, actually. Narnia is another series that might be... offensive... given how it ends. Forget the fact that CS Lewis is one of the world's most prominent Christian authors that ending will have a few people miffed. I personally was pissed at the ending for the OPPOSITE reason (I didn't realize he was Christian until that last scene...) but it's a very good series anyway and it would be a shame for them to change it. :(

i thought this movie was incredible. where the hell was this movie when i was a kid? i tell you what, i want a DAEMON, damnit. the ice bears sure kicked some ass.

the story did seem a little rushed, everything kind of happened in a day it seemed, but nicole kidman was smoking hot and evil, the dark undertones were riveting, sam elliot was hilarious with his jackrabbit, ian mckellan as the ice bear king...i thought it was amazing. the graphics were outstanding.

the only disappoint i felt is when it ended. now they're talking about not making a sequel??? the movie was raw entertainment. i don't know what you people were looking for.

Whats it about? Whos In it? Did anyone go out and see I LEGEND?

I saw i am legend in imax, good movie until they reveal the poorly done and implemented vampires. The alternate ending would have kept the feel of the original novella (although the novella is very jarring to modern sensibilities it would be more along the lines of true horror in several dimensions)

But it was far better than the poorly edited, poorly scripted, poorly acted and all around ****ty golden compass

But it was far better than the poorly edited, poorly scripted, poorly acted and all around ****ty golden compass

who was this poor actor? the little girl did a great job and everyone else was in top form as well.

i am legend was ok...the book was way cooler. they need to remake the vampires as they were, quit changing that story around so much.

Back