The effect of lagering on yeast (altbier)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OBecian

Reaction score
I'm planning on brewing an all-grain altbier with ale yeast, but I'm confused when it comes to cold conditioning the beer after two weeks of fermentation at 65 degrees. I was planning on putting the fermentor in the fridge for a month, but wouldn't this cause the yeast to precipitate to the bottom, and cause carbonation problems when I bottle? Or is it acceptable to ferment, bottle, and then cold condition for a month, like I do with any beer?

I have read posters that say they cold crash their fermenter 3 or 4 days before bottle time with no ill effects. To be safe, I say bottle it and then cold condition it.

I know I have had bottled brews change dramatically with longer fridge time.

It probably depends on the yeast strain you're using. I brewed an altbier in February with Wyeast 1007. Did 3 weeks in primary at 60F and then 4 weeks in the Fridge. If you noticed, Wyeast 1007 is a low flocculating yeast and will stay in suspension forever. After the cold conditionning, I bottled as usual and it carbed up no problem. Which yeast are you using using?

The recipe calls for White Labs European Ale yeast (WLP011), which has a medium flocculation level. Your suggestion of a low flocculation yeast gives me something to think about. However, aren't altbiers supposed to finish clear and 'crisp' like a lager? Would a low flocculation yeast make the beer more cloudy and yeasty and produce something similar to a dunkelweizen?

That's a great point. However, 1007 is a really clean yeast flavor and aroma wise. It can tolerate low temperatures (I've heard people going in the mid to low 50s) so it can ferment clean. The flocculation problem is an issue as Alts are suppose to be bright and clear. But Alts get that pseudo lager quality from cold laggering, not just from yeast. By laggering your beer, even low flocculation yeast like 1007 will floc out. I think Wyeast 1007 was designed as an Alt strain. On Mr. Malty's website, he claims Wyeast 1007 German Ale is the same as WLP036 which is a Dusseldorf Alt strain.

Back