The EASIEST way to clean...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grndslm

Reaction score
I was at a craft brewerer's HQ a couple weeks back, and there wasn't much to the place -- whole lotta people, conicals, and sanitation buckets. The buckets stood out most in my mind from that day, besides how awesome the workers were.

What my friend is doing right now for sanitation is filling up large 1 gallon [or so] jugs with water and iodine, shaking them up, and pouring the iodophore solution onto our equipment. He goes thru at least 2 or 3 gallons every brew day (not including bottling days).

What we need to incorporate is a bucket that can fit 99% of our equipment, particularly the auto siphon, jars, lids, bungs, hoses, fittings, bottles, bottle caps, etc.

I haven't found a perfectly rectangular bucket of adequate depth, but I'm wondering if you already have one... or might know where to get one. DO YOU??

it would be pretty swell to cut sanitation time in a fourth, just by dunking equipment into the sanitation bucket and forgetting about it for a few minutes. Would definintely make me happier if I were the one who had to clean.

^
If you need to clean a lot of stuff, full a 5 gal bucket, use iodine/any sanitizer, then dump into bath tub. Repeat several times if your items don't fit in the bucket :)

I use a big rubbermaid bin. Pour five gallons of solution into the bottom and it is wide enough to get everything down under the water. Add to that a spray bottle filled for spot cleaning and you're set.

To help the Starsan keep between brews. I have heard of guys using the plastic water cooler carboys and sealing them up. Dump the 5gal's Starsan into the bucket of your choice for brew day. you can keep all your stuff in it. Then at the end fo the day dump it back into the plastic carboy for storage. Starsan needs to be in a sealed container to last. But it will last for a long time.
I use the "All Purpose Sprayer" from the cleaning section of Home Depot! They were really cheap and usefull. I keep water in 1 and starsan in another. I spray ALOT of stuff down with Starsan throughout the fermentation process.

Back