The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's a really short conference.
It is and for my health, I limit my libation normally to once a week. Four times a week around St Paddy’s and also an HBC meeting put my liver enzymes up and my NP asked if I had been drinking much of the beer I make. So there’s that little hitch for me to keep in mind.

If you have any love for me at all you will go by Bog Iron and tell Cape everyone on the Masshole thread really misses him. Then wait a few moments, burst out laughing and tell him you're just sh!tting him.

Recreational ball busting, like any skill, needs practice

Last edited:
If you have any love for me at all you will go by Bog Iron and tell Cape everyone on the Masshole thread really misses him. Then wait a few moments, burst out laughing and tell him you're just sh!tting him.

Recreational ball busting, like any skill, needs practice
The last time I was there he wasn‘t. I had one and left but yeah, that sounds more like it.

I was thinking of going off island, but don't really need to. Now I know the bridge is impassable, I guess I'll wait until after summer. Just kidding, sort of.

Anyway, I have my amusements. The fact this firggn thing is sitting in my driveway with all its glory and needed repairs is a repeated and genuine source of amusement.
IMG_0025.JPG

This is not the first time this has happened, about twenty years ago I bought a 10 wheal Mack B-61 with a 12 yard sander, I was drinking with a friend and jokingly agreed to buy it for $500. I found it in my yard shortly after, sort of came with having to be a Mass Highway owner operator contract driver, which I did for a couple of years.

Same machine, and it still gives me a good laugh (at my own expense) almost every time I look at it. One must find ones amusements where one can.

I guess I should not expect others to share my mirth at my folly, but had a pretty good buzz on last night. Now I got to go install fencing for a horse paddock...

Headed down to Sagamore for Fridays with Grumpy. Plan for the day is to add "... and then we can have a beer." or something comparable to the end of everything I say to the littles.
"C'mon you two, let's take Bud for a walk and grab a beer,"
"Finish your sandwich and then you can have a beer."
"Nap time, you can have a beer when you get up"
"If you poop on the potty like a big girl I'll buy you a beer"

I wonder if the betting apps have an Over/Under on how many miles away from their house I'll get before the call from Spawn?

Like I said, RecBallBusting takes practice.

Last edited:
Rain. And it's coming down. Spring is Springing. Time to clean the yard and pump up the bicycle tires.

And no, that's not a euphemism for anything.

Are you talking about BBQ or health care? Cause if you've got a way to do Option B I'd like to hear about it. I am usually spectacularly unsuccessful helping my patients to quit.
I’m a hypnotist and my success rate is better than the statistical 30% which is roughly equivalent to NRT with counseling. I prescreen for the clients readiness the goal being to not take someone on who is placating their partner or parents. Just some tweaking of thinking and feeling can make all the difference.

I was a 2-pack a day'er from 18 'til 65 when one day I decided to just quit, and did, "cold turkey". And while I had harbored the conventional thinking that it would be a total *****, it really was not a big deal at all. I just stopped and that was that. The brain is pretty powerful and my sense of what happened is I had convinced my deepest self what the right thing to do was and my brain made things easier by turning off the craving thing.

There are still moments that I kinda miss it, but I don't miss it :)

Cheers!

That’s great and shows not everyone is physically addicted as the programmers would like us to believe. What I mean by that is back in the 80s when the nicotine gum became available OTC reports of the tobacco drug “being more addictive than opioids“ was frequently in the news. I remember this, because I too was smoking at the time. Made the decision to stop used behavioral changes and self-hypnosis been a non-smoker for over 30 years and don’t miss it one bit, actually I’m very thankful I’m not spending a but-load of cash on tobacco because I’d never have extra cash for brewing. :)

btw, I didn't mean to trivialize getting off the tobacco train, and I recognize that can be a hellacious battle with lots of losses along the way. One of my wife's sisters is married to a guy who has had at least three lung cancer tumor reduction surgeries yet he's still puffing. Effin' tragic, really...

btw, I didn't mean to trivialize getting off the tobacco train, and I recognize that can be a hellacious battle with lots of losses along the way. One of my wife's sisters is married to a guy who has had at least three lung cancer tumor reduction surgeries yet he's still puffing. Effin' tragic, really...
I didn’t take it that way, my mother ended life with lung cancer and pissed that she couldn’t smoke. She damn near set the bed on fire while getting morphine, before my dad (a former smoker) said no more. She was horrid each time she had attempted to stop. I believe she was addicted, she never asked me for help and I doubt it would have been beneficial. Sadly, that BIL of yours probably is too. :( Smokers are not my favorites to work with. They cancel appts, occasionally are no call no shows, but when I help one, I know I’ve helped to make a life better. Sorry I’ve gone on… it could be interesting maybe not, but as you see I’m willing to share info.

You are clearly an exceptionally good person and have my respect for your efforts in such a tough arena. There is no doubt in my mind that I was "addicted" as are all long time smokers - though I couldn't quantify which part was chemical and which was me enjoying smoking (which is mostly also chemical ;)).

And it's not like I had never given thought to quitting before I actually did - I couldn't count how many times I was on the verge of setting a date. And to be honest when I did quit it was totally out of nowhere and a surprise to everyone including me - I have no evident health problems in that regard - but there must've been a subconscious epiphany that actually took hold...much to my conscious benefit...

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm still just wondering whether Paul could use the new smithy shed to "tweak feelings".

@Hoppy2bmerry , your story hit a nerve; my late Dad was 2 pack a day until mid 60s and had to give it up, along with go low cholesterol and wheat free all the same year. I was in grad school on the other side of the Appalachians but the stories from home about his moods were frightful.

Back