The dreaded Ferment-strual cycle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartan300man

Reaction score
So my wife thought I was grumpy about every 5 weeks. I figured it out, this was about the time where my current batch of bottled beers were running low, and the next batch was still in the primary fermenter, with another week of dry hopping and at least two weeks in the bottle. This is a situation called the Ferment-strual cycle.

Like my first job, living paycheck to paycheck, you sometimes run out before the next one comes along. I have come to the conclusion that I need a shorter window between batches and more bottles in rotation, like putting a little money in the bank. I had to increase my empty bottle supply by an additional 50% to have enough to bottle a new batch and thus overlap the brew cycle. For every beer I give to friends, they need to give me back 3 empties. As soon as one batch is in the bottle, the next batch is just a few weeks away. With summer months, this becomes even more critical as the back yard BBQs become a weekly event. This formula for a magic pill has virtually eliminated the headache and grumpiness from the Fermentstruation cycle.

I always calculate what my consumption should be to have enough empties on the next bottling day. I'm the only beer drinker in my home so I get no help in emptying the bottles.

Ferment-strual cycle, indeed!

dude you need to get a steady pipeline going. That was like my main goal when I started homebrewing. Now, at any given time, I've got 4 or 5 fermenting, 4 or 5 kegged, and dozens of batches bottled

I have the pipeline going now, although no kegging, and just enough bottles accumulated so far where I can keep the fridge stocked. I only have one 5 gallon fermenter bucket and one 5 gallon carboy, although a lot of smaller sizes when I split up batches for experimenting with dry hop or adjuncts.

Back