the down- side to yeast washing...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xtant

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have lots of Notty. And only Notty. Two mason jars of Notty in the fridge and I'll be washing more, today. My last three batches have been Biermuncher's Centennial Blond because, well, I've had the yeast and hops on hand. That'll be the next batch I do because, well, I have the year and hops on hand.

It just seems like I'm in a rut... but that blond isn't such a bad rut to be stuck in.

I just need to find some good recipes that call for Notty.

What yeasts can Notty be used in place of?

I don't think that's an issue with washing, just sounds like you need try different styles and plan your wash schedule better. Why are you washing more yeast if you have so much on hand already? I think Nottingham can be used in a number of different styles, just look through the recipes on here, and try substituting. I think you would only have trouble on styles that are very yeast-dependent, like Belgians, wheats, certain English styles, etc. I think you could use this successfully in an IPA, brown ale, stout, or a number of other styles.

Notty works in any English style, so that opens a ton of possibilities.
What styles do you like to drink?
Unless it's a Belgian or a lager, I say "Go for it"

Nottingham works great in a bunch of different styles of ale where you are seeking a neutral, clean fermentation.

The thing to remember with this strain is that it requires cooler temps than most ales yeasts. Upper 50's (beer temp, not air) is a good point to start and maintain for the first few days before letting it slowly come up to around 66*F to finish.

Fermenting with this yeast above 68*F puts you into the danger zone for off-flavors that get progressively worse the warmer it gets.

Back