The craziest thing you've ever dropped into your fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

s1080

Reaction score
I was just about to have the most perfect brewday. One of those only legends describe. No intruptions, perfect weather, good jazz music playin, hit every temp on the nose etc...

Then the god of brewing reared his (its) ugly head and batted an eye in my general direction.

As I was siphoning my wort into my bucket one of the stove irons, that I rest my hot brew kettle on, fell from the counter top into my fermentor. STAT MANEUVER!!!

I pulled out the iron and I hope everything is going to go well but it begs the question... Whats the craziest thing you've every dropped into your fermentor?

Cheers :mug:

steve

I tend to keep my brewing area pretty tidy, so I don't usually have these issues...but I did screw up once.

My late dog used to stay away from the beer (he didn't like the smell much I'm assuming) so I didn't really think much about walking away from the beer for a few minutes to grab some equipment. I came back to find a dog bone in the bottom of my full fermenter and the dog looking at me like it was my fault. Apparently he got nosey and had the bone in his mouth while he looked into the bucket. Needless to say...I didn't need that equipment I went to grab afterall. The wort went down the drain.

Hhmmm, Jimmy Hoffa - I swear!

Really though, nothing that shouldn't be in there. At least not yet.

On my first batch. I was using a Britta water pitcher to filter my top off water (no I didn't boil it) and pouring it into the bucket. I guess I poured a bit too far and the filter portion fell out and directly into the bucket. It floated, so I just grabbed it and went on.

My daughter's pacifier............and please don't ask why I had a little child that close to a boiling pot. SWMBO already went over that with me in agonizing detail.

Edit: Actually just realized the post said fermenter, never mind.

I still don't know how it happened, but after primary was over, I found a complete 3 piece airlock in the trub. There was an airlock on the bucket during fermentation so it's not like it fell from there and I didn't notice.

I assume that I was sanitizing stuff, and just left the sanitized airlock in the bucket.

Let's see, what else? Oh, a screwdriver. That came from attempting to open a bucket lid with a screwdriver. It worked!

A turkey baster. A rubber grommet. And finally, a rubber bung. I found out the hard way that star-san'd items are slippery.

Damn #6 stopper fell in my 6 gallon carboy the first time I went to use it. It's still in there. It's been a little over a month. Besides that, I actually got a paint strainer bag stuck in the same carboy. Don't ask why, but I figured I would dry hop with the hop bag and worry about getting it out later. The benefits outweighed the cost of getting it out for me, as I was dry-hopping for 3+ oz of pellet hops that I didn't want to have floating around in my beer. Ended up putting some sanitized marbles in the bag as well and needless to say.. it was tricky getting out. Had to pull it up to the top, stick my finger in the opening of the fermenter and manually remove the hops, slowly. Only took like 4 minutes and my hands smelled amazing afterward, so I can't complain too much.

Wow. This thread makes me glad I use my 6.5 gallon glass carboy. That thing may be heavy and cumbersome, but it would have to be a 1 in a million shot to drop something in the fermenter.

I came extremely close to dropping a cornie lid into my keg last weekend though.

Back