The colour of Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreyCranium

Reaction score
Hi all, im in the planning stages of making a cherry melomel, but i want the finished product to be a really dark red. Whats the best way to ensure this outcome? :fro:

dont want to use food colour if possible, i want it to be all natural. So lots of cherries it is then. how many would you say for a 5 gallon batch?

:ban::ban::ban::ban::ban:

Think red wine. So up to 5lb per gallon, plus rohapect enzyme or even just straight pectic enzyme, but rather than all the fruit in primary, 2 or 3lb in primary and the rest in secondary.

Probably keep the primary fruit in till it sinks, then rack and press the fermented fruit.

The trick is mainly to keep fruit in the batch as long as possible/feasible to maximise extraction.

My suggestion of fruit in both is to get the best balance of fermented and non-fermented fruitiness.......

Think red wine. So up to 5lb per gallon, plus rohapect enzyme or even just straight pectic enzyme, but rather than all the fruit in primary, 2 or 3lb in primary and the rest in secondary.

Thanks, i go with the 3lb in primary and the rest in the secondary.

Beet juice as an additional sugar source will add some more red.

do you mean beetroot juice?

I kind of agree with fat bloke, beet root syrup or extract can add an earthy flavor that can be off-putting to some. Some other very red additives to consider: red currant syrup by Ikea, hibiscus syrup, or red raspberry syrup.

Back