The CO2 Nazi of DFW (ala soup nazi from Seinfeld)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richard-SSV

Reaction score
I just went to Shax's liquor store in Lake Dallas and the crazy man behind the counter would not fill my tank. When I came in he asked me how big the tank was and I told him it was a 5 lb tank, which it is. He says, there's no way that it is a 5 lb tank because it's too big. He looks at the tank and sees the marking where it says T.W. (total weight) 7.7 lbs and then claims that it's a 7.7 lb tank.

I tell him that this is the weight of the empty tank and then point out the marking that says 5 # CO2. He then tells me that the # symbol doe not mean lbs. I tell him that it absolutely means lbs, but he stands his ground. I tell him fine, I'll pay for 7.7 lbs of CO2, but then he refuses to fill it and tells me to get out of his store.

At this point I'm looking for the hidden cameras and for a TV host to come out and tell me I'm on candid camera. I'm completely floored that this guy has just refused to serve me. It would have been perfect had he said "No CO2 for you"!

Keep in mind, I never raised my voice and never lost my temper. I am dumb founded!! I guess if this is a 7.7 lb tank then I got a steal from the Beverage factory as they only charged me for 5 lb tank ;)

At any rate, if someone can point me to a CO2 source near Denton that would be great. I live between Lewisville and Denton, so anywhere up in this neck of the woods will work.

photo(4).jpg

fwiw, "TW" or "Tare Weight" is the weight of the empty tank, not "Total Weight".

And you clearly won at "Find The Moron"...

Cheers! ;)

Should cost no more than $20 to get it filled at a Fire Extinguisher place. Most welding supply places will make you trade the tank or leave it.

I paid $10 at my LHBS but some other guys I work with suggestion a carbonation company that sells soda products and tap systems. They fill 5 lbers for 5 bucks. Maybe check for one of them in the phone book.

Wow. If he is this 'knowledgable', I am not sure I would trust the guy to fill the tank without blowing himself up or seriously damaging the equipment.

I found a fire extinguisher place near where I work in Arlington, TX. They charged me $20, which I thought was a little high, but at least they were friendly and spoke English. I didn't even have to tell them what the capacity of the tank was...... imagine that!

I paid $25 at a fire extinguisher store...45 miles away...because it's all I could find.

Back