The Cheap And Easy Way To Carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meadrol

Reaction score
I started out my homebrew odyssey making mead and have now branched out into wine; some of the wines I've made would really be enhanced by carbonation, but I had no equipment and not a clue how to do it. Well, I did a search and found this....hope it helps anyone else in my position. I haven't tried it yet, will in a week or so.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Carbonating:-The-Cheap-and-Easy-Way/#step1

Don't use that method, you'll get a viniger off-flavor in your brew.

Ask any brewer, they'll tell that the best (cheapest, easiest, and with very acceptable results) method to carbonate your brew is natural carbonation.
Just add some ferementables to your brew before bottling it. One of the best things you can use is Corn Sugar, mainly because it can be fully-feremented, thus leaving no off-flavors. On average, 2.5 tablespoons (35 ml) per gallons are enough, but it all depends on what you're brewing and the target sweetness level.

I would advise not doing this unless you are damn impatient or you have killed off the yeast, first off all with this system you are introducing vinegar spray into your wine and secondly this is not cheap at all. Using 1 tsp of table sugar at £1 per bag is much cheaper than using these materials, Baking Soda is not cheap.

You have to give the guy that came up with this idea credit though, it's a damn good idea!

So, if you still insist on doing this, use a bubble system(add another bottle to get rid of vinegar spray).

Well heck I feel silly LOL...my whole thing was that I'm worried about bottle bombs. I also have a general concentrate wine that I sorbated to stop the fermentation so I may actually use Maverick22's suggestion and try this method with an extra bottle just to see what happens. I'll post and let you know what happens when I do.

Meadrol said:
Well heck I feel silly LOL...my whole thing was that I'm worried about bottle bombs. I also have a general concentrate wine that I sorbated to stop the fermentation so I may actually use Maverick22's suggestion and try this method with an extra bottle just to see what happens. I'll post and let you know what happens when I do.

First: it is not generally possible to stop an active fermentation.

Second: if you have a sorbated wine, it won't bottle carb with the addition of sugar or juice.

Back