The Calling IPA Help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheHairyHop

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys. I had The Calling by Boulevard Brewing for the first time at Avery's Strong Ale Fest and it was great. Naturally, I want to try something close to it.

Here's their take on it:
http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/the-calling/

http://www.boulevard.com/the-calling/

It says "A simple malt base composed solely of our two row base malt serves as a platform for giant, punchy hop flavor and aroma provided by a blend of Simcoe, Bravo, Topaz, Cascade, Mosaic, Equinox, Galaxy, and Amarillo hops."

I figure that I don't have to have all the hops (the first link says there are 8), but I think I can get it 90% of the way their without having to get Topaz hops, etc. I really just want to nail a tropical, crisp IIPA.

Here's my take so far:

Recipe: The Calling
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.56 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.56 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.10 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 9.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 84.4 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 65.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 68.2 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
16 lbs 9.7 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 94.8 %
10.7 oz Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) 3.8 %
3.9 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) 1.4 %

0.50 oz Bravo [15.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min 23.8 IBUs
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Flameout 9.4 IBUs
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Flameout 6.1 IBUs
1.00 oz Equinox [15.00 %] - Flameout 16.7 IBUs
1.00 oz Galaxy [14.00 %] - Flameout 15.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Mosaic [11.60 %] - Flameout 12.9 IBUs
1.0 pkg Heady Topper [124.21 ml]

I copied my grain bill from Avery's Dugana, since I like that bill and it's simple. How are the hop ratios looking?

They only mention a simple grain bill. Have you had Dugana?

Never had it. But the first recipe ("The Calling") states that their grain bill is 100% 2-row base malt, which is why I am asking why the C120 and aromatic. Not saying it will be bad, just that it will be different than "The Calling".

I'm pretty fine with the malt. All of Avery's IIPA's use 120, and I've used it in all of mine as well.

I don't have any dry hopping listed, but figured it would be along the same lines as the steeping combo. I'm trying out dry hopping with muslin bags and I've found that the effectiveness is drastically different than the tea balls that I was using. My biggest concern is that I've never used Mosaic, Equinox or Galaxy and rarely use Amarillo. Is any one of those going to over power the others if they're all 1:1 ratio?

Never had it. But the first recipe ("The Calling") states that their grain bill is 100% 2-row base malt, which is why I am asking why the C120 and aromatic. Not saying it will be bad, just that it will be different than "The Calling".

huh, totally missed the 100% 2-row. Must have read right over it :drunk: what do you think about the hopping?

I'm pretty fine with the malt. All of Avery's IIPA's use 120, and I've used it in all of mine as well.

I don't have any dry hopping listed, but figured it would be along the same lines as the steeping combo. I'm trying out dry hopping with muslin bags and I've found that the effectiveness is drastically different than the tea balls that I was using. My biggest concern is that I've never used Mosaic, Equinox or Galaxy and rarely use Amarillo. Is any one of those going to over power the others if they're all 1:1 ratio?

I haven't used Galaxy, but I've used all the other 3. To me, Mosaic might come through a little more than the others (but it also smells the best to me, so I don't mind it so much). But it isn't overpowering like Citra, for example.

I'd double the flameout hop additions and be sure to do a hopstand. My last IPA had 12oz total go in at flameout, then +20min into the hopstand

IME galaxy will contribute the most aroma ounce for ounce.

Also, I find Cascade and Amarillo to be pretty similar, although Cascade is maybe a bit more "grapefruit"-type citrus, and Amarillo a bit more "sweet orange"-type citrus.

I'd double the flameout hop additions and be sure to do a hopstand. My last IPA had 12oz total go in at flameout, then +20min into the hopstand

IME galaxy will contribute the most aroma ounce for ounce.

Oh yea, hop stand all the way. I do about an hour. I think that I taste a good amount of galaxy in The Calling, so that may be on par

Also, I find Cascade and Amarillo to be pretty similar, although Cascade is maybe a bit more "grapefruit"-type citrus, and Amarillo a bit more "sweet orange"-type citrus.

that's pretty funny. To me, cascade tastes woody, spicy and herbal, but Amarillo tastes like citrus and stone fruits. the differing experiences of hop tasting are amazing.

I haven't used Galaxy, but I've used all the other 3. To me, Mosaic might come through a little more than the others (but it also smells the best to me, so I don't mind it so much). But it isn't overpowering like Citra, for example.

what did mosaic and equinox taste like to you?

what did mosaic and equinox taste like to you?

Pretty similar, actually. Tropical fruit and citrus mostly, with some pine/dank aroma thrown in for good measure. Equinox was maybe a bit more floral and less piney than Mosaic. Both are amazing hops, in my opinion. Mosaic might be my favorite hop at the moment, at least in terms of aroma.

I got some grassy pepperyness in equinox too that Mosaic does not have. I prefer Mosaic to both Equinox and Galaxy

Anyone got any more input on the hop ratios? I'm brewing this today. I've upped all of the flameout hops to 1.5 oz and eliminated the bittering bravo. If I do this, i get 90 IBUs using Beersmith 10 min boil. Which, give or take a few bittering units, is pretty close to where I want it to be.

I brewed what I stated in the previous post. The bittering isn't quite where it should be, but that's ok. I have dry hopped with 0.5 oz of mosaic, equinox, galaxy and amarillo. A bit too fruity at the moment, so I'll probably balance it out with some cascade. Overall, it's a very tropical DIPA and you can't taste the alcohol. Not bad ;)

Email the brewery they will give you the recipe

Also use a clean yeast string ...heady is just going to give you peachy esters and not the hops shine

Email the brewery they will give you the recipe

Also use a clean yeast string ...heady is just going to give you peachy esters and not the hops shine

I don't regret using the heady yeast. I think that it accentuates hops flavors rather than covers them up. What really put the fruit overboard was the initial dry hop of equinox. I got so much papaya from that, it was nuts. I've only gotten more papaya from calypso. It's been fading, however, ever since I added the mosaic. It brought some piney funk back to the palate, as well as just a general fading of some flavors.

I'll give the brewery a shout, but I'm not disappointed with the results. I typically brew IPAs with cascade, simcoe or columbus, so to get in the general flavor profile of The Calling was a good first step.

I don't regret using the heady yeast. I think that it accentuates hops flavors rather than covers them up. What really put the fruit overboard was the initial dry hop of equinox. I got so much papaya from that, it was nuts. I've only gotten more papaya from calypso. It's been fading, however, ever since I added the mosaic. It brought some piney funk back to the palate, as well as just a general fading of some flavors.

I'll give the brewery a shout, but I'm not disappointed with the results. I typically brew IPAs with cascade, simcoe or columbus, so to get in the general flavor profile of The Calling was a good first step.

Good deal - Here is their hop schedule for reference...I'm going to be brewing this in two weeks following their recipe

First Wort – Simcoe
98 C – Bravo, Topaz
2 minutes before end of boil – Cascade, Mosaic
Whirlpool – Equinox
First Dry Hop – Galaxy, Amarillo
Second Dry Hop – Galaxy, Amarillo

Grain Bill is 100% 2 row

I'm using a Kolsch yeast to let the hops shine

Ah cool. I was thinking that the Simcoe wouldn't have been just bittering! No wonder my attempt is pretty close. I dry hopped with equinox and mosaic, however, which explains the lack of galaxy character that I'm missing. Thanks for the info!

Schumed,
Did you try this yet? I'd like to brew this next but would be interested in your results before diving in. Also interested in the hops measurements.

Good deal - Here is their hop schedule for reference...I'm going to be brewing this in two weeks following their recipe

First Wort – Simcoe
98 C – Bravo, Topaz
2 minutes before end of boil – Cascade, Mosaic
Whirlpool – Equinox
First Dry Hop – Galaxy, Amarillo
Second Dry Hop – Galaxy, Amarillo

Grain Bill is 100% 2 row

I'm using a Kolsch yeast to let the hops shine

Good morning, I've been watching this page since it first started. I'm getting close to trying to make this beer recipe, cause I really like this beer. But I'm having issues of were to come up with all the hops. I'm relatively new to brewing (2 years) and pretty much done extract kits or "easily" gotten recipes. I'm from the KC area also. Glad to another that enjoys this brew. Thank you.

Good morning, I've been watching this page since it first started. I'm getting close to trying to make this beer recipe, cause I really like this beer. But I'm having issues of were to come up with all the hops. I'm relatively new to brewing (2 years) and pretty much done extract kits or "easily" gotten recipes. I'm from the KC area also. Glad to another that enjoys this brew. Thank you.

You should be able to find most of the hops locally BrewLab KC, Grains and Glass, Apex, Grains and Taps...but I prefer buying online from these guys https://www.yakimavalleyhops.com/

What part of KC are you in?

I just noticed this: "The Calling also receives an addition of lemon peel during the last five minutes of the boil to add an extra citrusy punch."

Made another round of this...Its so awesome. This is at 16 days.

One thing I did to improve was created a water profile using RO water
1tsp of calcium per 5 gallons of water
1tsp of gypsum per 5 gallons of water
2% acidulated malt added to the grain bill

Biggest thing I notice it the aroma and flavor of the hops really pop more...and the bitterness is more rounded and not long lasting astringency

The People's IPA.jpg

Resurrecting this old thread because 1) I love this beer 2) I emailed them and got more detailed info

Thanks for contacting us. It's always great to hear from folks who enjoy our beer as much as we do! Here is some information you may find helpful in your attempt to brew a big I.P.A. silmiar to The Calling:

Malt Bill

Pale Malt – 100%

Mash Schedule:

Mash in at 62 C

63 C – 60 minutes

68 C – 20 minutes

73 C – 20 minutes

Mash off at 78 C

Hops

Simcoe – 21.2 IBU during first wort

Magnum – 21 IBU at 98 C

Topaz – 24.2 IBU at 98 C

Cascade – 14.6 IBU at 2 minutes before end of boil

Mosaic – 8.1 IBU at 2 minutes before end of boil

Equinox – 9.8 IBU during whirlpooling

Lemon Peel – 12 g/bbl added at end of boil

We boil for 70 minutes. Beginning of boil gravity is 15.4 and we target 19.2 at the end of the boil with 3.3 Plato coming from dextrose added midway through the boil.

Fermentation

We cool the wort to 19C and ferment with our house English ale strain until we reach 9 Plato. At that point, we temp up to 23 for the remainder of fermentation. Final gravity is 2.6.

Dry-Hopping

Galaxy - .26 kg/bbl

Amarillo - .36 kg/bbl

Lemondrop - .1 kg/bbl

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or concerns and Happy Brewing!

Cheers!

Joel Kanne

Gatekeeper

Boulevard Brewing Company

Back