The burner debate.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

divernaz

Reaction score
Hello all. First time here and working on building my brew system and need everyone's opinion on burners. I'm buying these for a three tier all grain system. I've been looking at two different burners the first one is the High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner. Very large burner but not sure if its over kill or worth the extra propane. The other one is the High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner, again from Bayou classic. Here are the two links for each burner. Any opinions would help greatly. Thanks so much in advance. I will be cooking with regular 15 gallon keggles.

High Pressure Cast Iron Banjo Burner
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg14_cast_iron_burner.htm

High Pressure Cast Iron Fry Burner
http://bayouclassicdepot.com/bg12_cast_iron_burner.htm

Ken

I went with 2 of these. IM building the same thing. I already have a turkey fryer which Im taking the burner off of to use to hold mash temp. I spoke with a gentleman at the agrisupply store and he said this would work just fine and should be more than enough to boil 12 gallons. He didnt try to sell me the more expensive high pressure burner. The folks at this place are great. Stuff was here in no time at all.

http://www.agrisupply.com/burner-cast-low-pressure-multi-hole-btu-dia/p/40282/

i've been using the old standard burners for a long time and i FINALLY switched to the bayou sq14, which i believe has the bg12 burner in it. i LOVE it, made the whole experience a lot better in my opinion. i think you will get by just fine with the bg12, but i'm sure others have reasons for the bg14... if you will be sticking to ~5 gallon batches, and even 10, you should be fine with the smaller ones.

I'm sure the small ones will be good for propane, up to 10 gallon batches.
If your ever thinking of Natural Gas or low pressure, get the bigger ones.

I remember having two burners picked out (and in the cart even) when I realized how much better electric brewing would be. It's not for everyone, I know, but it's probably the single best equipment choice I've made. Just throwing that out there in case you haven't considered it. Good luck.

I have the KAB+ which uses one of those larger banjo burners. It works great for my 15gal pot, heating up a large surface very quickly. It's probably overkill, but I like it.

I use the first one you linked with natural gas. Its a bit overkill, but damn its quiet. Have done both 5 gallons and 10 gallon batches (7.5 and 14 gallon preboil) in keggles with the only issue being boiling in my site glass because they are a bit overkill.

I put a lot of thought into electric brewing, but ultimately I like gas because I can easily pull my sculpture (whenever I build it) out of the garage, switch the orifices and run propane if I ever decide to brew outdoors on a nice day or take it to a buddies house ans brew with them. Kinda hard asking to use their dryer outlet. But then again the occasions I would do this wouldn't be frequent but its nice to have the option.

Edit: by the way, that is not the cheapest you can get that burner. I purchased from Williams brewing and I believe it was 10 bucks cheaper, or you can order directly through hurricane which I believe was a couple dollars cheaper as well. And I really like hurricane, as I had an issue with the first burned, and the guy was very helpful double checking if I had set it up right, and once we figured out the burner was the issue, sent me a new one right away.

Edit 2: http://www.williamsbrewing.com/HURRICANE-LOW-PRESSURE-BURNER-NO-STAND-P2677.aspx

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up taking phoenixs4r advice and ordered the larger burners. Go big or go home I guess. Next up ball valves for keggles and diy wort chiller.
Thanks again

Ken

Back