"The Bucket" Good or Bad

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dextersmom

Reaction score
I know that be bottling bucket is ideal for use because you can rack into the priming solution etc. But it was just advised to me by my lhbs that they don't recomend using them due to risk of contamination.

the only other method of priming i see here is mixing the solution in the primary or secondary carboy (whichever you're using) then mixing it up, which you'll have to wait to settle again. or individually preparing the bottles.

what would you guys recomend. Especially from everything i've read even Palmers book recomends a bucket. Not sure why my lhbs would be saying not to.

input pros / cons much appreciated

Thanks

There is almost no risk of contamination is you clean properly. And honestly, after fermentation is done, the risk is even less. I don't bottle beer, but for wine, I ALWAYS use a bucket. It's simply the easiest method out there.

your LHBS needs some edumacation...

as long as you sanitize the spigot thoroughly as well as the inside of the bucket, its of no greater risk for infection than any other 'normal procedure' in beer making.

this of course assumes you're sanitizing the tubing and racking can/auto-siphon, and a bottling wand if you use one.

I do put a spare lid loosely over the bucket (with an open airlock hole) to prevent dust from falling in. just kinda common sense prevention.

yeah that and i think bottling as a first timer would be much easier and there would be less of a chance of contamination or oxygenating using a bottling bucket rather than siphon bottling which is what they're recomending.

Buckets are cheap and we all need a few of them in our brewery. That said....

I only use my bottling bucket for bottling beer. I do not use it to sanitize funnels, tubes etc. I keep a cover on it at almost all times.

Why? Procedure. Using our procedures is one way to developing consistency in our brewing process. In this way, if I am consistent with my procedures I have just reduced the chances of contamination.

Is it over kill? Probably. But buckets are cheap and I have a number of them hanging around anyway.

Let me add this caveat: You need to have dedicated buckets for fermenting. Otherwise, if you store other stuff in them, stack them up, and use them as general purpose, they'll get scratched. Your LHBS may have been referring to this as a reason not to use buckets....but if you treat them well, they have many benefits over carboys.

They just want to sell you another carboy to put your priming solution in and rack onto for bottling.

Deep scratches are the only real risk I see. They are hard to sanitize.

So don't put a pissed off cat in your bottling bucket. Problem solved.

Dextersmom said:
I know that be bottling bucket is ideal for use because you can rack into the priming solution etc. But it was just advised to me by my lhbs that they don't recomend using them due to risk of contamination.

the only other method of priming i see here is mixing the solution in the primary or secondary carboy (whichever you're using) then mixing it up, which you'll have to wait to settle again. or individually preparing the bottles.

what would you guys recomend. Especially from everything i've read even Palmers book recomends a bucket. Not sure why my lhbs would be saying not to.

input pros / cons much appreciated

Thanks

I know that store and am curious, who did you speak to? The gal, the taller guy or the shorter pudgy guy.

cheezydemon said:

:D But how am i going to make my specialty Calico Dunkelweizen? Or my Siamese Stout?!:ban: :ban:

GloHoppa said:
:D But how am i going to make my specialty Calico Dunkelweizen? Or my Siamese Stout?!:ban: :ban:

You add them into the secondary, not at bottling. You really want to maximize your "furball utilization."

If you put them in at bottling, all you get is that catpiss smell.:p

cheezydemon said:

Sure, NOW you tell me!!

cat.jpg

reminder: Don't do a "BlackCatBone Oatmeal Stout" brew swap with BlindLemonLars...LMFAO... sounds more like a "Milk Stout" (eww)

i just gotta say, this thread has been highly entertaining.

gotta love the simple questions that get highly creative answers.

:fro:

the_bird said:
Freakin' n00bs. Kitties get added to the boil... :D

Well you know what they say, ask 10 homebrewers a question and you get 12 different answers! :D

Actually I read about felines in secondary in Jamil's latest book,

sect11image08.jpg

If it comes from Jamil, it's gotta be gospel;)

Ain't google wonderful...Type in Jamil and cat and you never know what you'll find.

BlindLemonLars said:
Hey, I always practice truth in advertising when naming my brews!

Here kitty, kitty, kitty...

Looking at your sig line I see you're all about animals in your beers. Kangaroos and birds.:)

So what birds are in your Pale Ale? Starlings, bluejays or pigeons?

Do you puree the 'roo or steep it?

;)

Revvy said:
Looking at your sig line I see you're all about animals in your beers. Kangaroos and birds.:)
Nah...it's all about blues & brews, not critters. (Conqueroo not Kangaroo)

I tried a steeping a kangaroo once, but it came out way too hoppy. :D

In the interest of staying on topic (yeah, kinda late for that!) bottling buckets do not represent a serious sanitation risk. Just keep cats out of them, sanitize thoroughly, relax, don't worry, etc...

++ on using buckets for primaries..advantages are numerous the downside (cleaning/sanitiation/wear on plastic) can be mitigated using a pale liner.

cat.jpg

I had to hold on to my bum for fear of laughing it off.

Cheers
BeerCanuck

BlindLemonLars said:
Unless you're "dry catting," for more aroma.

I find them to be more aromatic when wet.

From the LHBS perspective, I think they give the most conservative advice to produce a result. Not always the best thing to do as a brewer.

They are interested in making sure that you don't ruin it.
We are interested in making the best beer possible.

Back