The bubbles stopped!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xjinx

Reaction score
Hi All,

I brewed last night and noticed that it started to bubble. Then today I took a look and noticed that there is no more bubble activity happening. I didn't open my bucket but when I took a flash light to it, I believe I saw a krausen ring around the top.

The temp of the bucket is about 66-67F.

I am not sure if I should be concerned and if this is a problem, if there is anything to do to fix it?

Thanks for any advice here.

No worries.

Bubbling really means nothing. If fermentation started it will finish. Step away fro. the fermenter and let the yeast do what it has been doing forever.

Is this one done yet?

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly. The bubbles will typically slow down A LOT, or stop, pretty much when the most active fermentation is complete. It still needs time to finish up though. My brews go about 3 weeks total in primary..the bubbles slow wayyy down after about a week..maybe less.

Yup. When the rapid bubbling slows or stops, only initial fermentation is done. It'll then slowly, uneventfully creep down to a stable FG. It could be as little as 10 days or so, or as much as about 3 weeks. I then give it another 3-7 days to clean up any by-products of fermentation & settle out clear or slightly misty before bottling.:mug:

Buckets tend to leak around the lid too, so when the pressure drops a bit the airlock will stop bubbling.

The best way of monitoring the progress of your fermentation is with a hydrometer. You can check the progress every few days to see if it's where you want it. Many times the airlock with stop bubbling after a couple days. Also the yeast sometimes get stuck. If you have taken hydrometer readings and they do not change after a few days, just give it a light stir for about 30 seconds and many times that'll get it going again.

-Jeff

I got that with the Brewer's Best style Ale Pails that have no lid seal. The higher pressures of initial fermentation made it leak under the lid, which stopped when initial fermentation had past.

Back