The Brew Shop - OKC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cardinalsfan

Reaction score
Wanted to leave a review with my impressions of The Brew Shop in Oklahoma City on Penn. There are only 2 homebrew supply stores in OKC, this one and one in Moore, down on the south side of the city. I go to the brew shop because it's so close to my work. I can stop during lunch and grab what I need.

I've been shopping here for about a year now. A few months ago, they introduced a $10 credit card minimum. I understand the logic behind this but don't agree with it. Take my money or don't, it's as simple as that. For me, i generally go here for yeast or a pound of grain or hops so nearly all my orders are less than $10 so now I have to plan ahead and make sure I have cash. On top of this, their prices aren't that great. I can usually order online and still beat their price, even after shipping costs.

The second straw is their hours. 10:30 to 5:30 weekdays, 11 to 4 on Saturday and closed Sunday. Not really an issue for me since I can go during lunch but those who want to go after work generally won't make it there before closing. Additionally, good luck getting there and hoping they are open. I have been there 3 times at 10:30 and had to wait anywhere from 15 to 30 mins for them to actually open. On Friday I waited for 30 mins (until 11) and they still didn't open. I know someone was in there as the lights were on but no one answered when I called them. I saw 3 people walk up and try the doors and leave and at least one other person was waiting in their car and left before they opened. I left at 11 because I had to go back to work.

Today was the final straw though. I bought some grain and didn't get it milled so that it would keep longer. I don't have a mill but I thought I could bring it there and pay to have it milled (they charge extra to mill grain). So I brought my grain in and was immediately asked why it wasn't purchased there. I told her I though she could mill it and she took the grain. I asked for it to be double milled (I do BiaB) and she took care of it, with quite a bit of attitude and I could tell from her body language she wasn't happy. When she finished milling the grain she said "You didn't think to bring a bag for this grain, did you?" It wasn't in a nice inquisitive tone. They mill grain on site and have bags for grain so I didn't think I needed to bring anything. She got a bag, put the grain in and tied it up. I asked what I owed her and she said "Nothing, maybe you'll just buy something from me next time you come in." Again, not a nice tone and it was dripping with sarcasm.

I have news for you lady, there won't be a next time. I'm done with your store. I don't need to be treated this way. I'm going to start going to Learn to Brew in Moore. I've been shopping with you for at least a year and have spent a few hundred dollars with you. We've had conversations many times that I come in (since I'm usually the only one in the store) but you never remember who I am. You seem to know everyone else who comes in though.

I said all that so say this: I'm not going back here. I just wanted to share my experience with others. I'm sure there are people who love this store and I have no issue with them. This store isn't for me. I'm just going to plan my brews out and buy everything online now.

Back