Quantcast

The Boerhaave procees (for making quick vinegar)

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

bernardsmith

Reaction score
Am not familiar with the boerhaave method but I have made vinegar from home made wine. The secret is allowing the mother to develop but once you have a mother the process takes just weeks. You can encourage a mother to develop in your own wine by exposing that wine to air OR you can purchase vinegar that has a mother in it and use that mother as your starter.

Beer666

Reaction score
Add organic vinegar with the mother to beer and it will start to form a skin within a few weeks. Use those to inoculate more beer. A month should be possible if its not too cold. A good tip is to use the decanted wort from starters.

OP
G

gatewood

Reaction score
Am not familiar with the boerhaave method but I have made vinegar from home made wine. The secret is allowing the mother to develop but once you have a mother the process takes just weeks. You can encourage a mother to develop in your own wine by exposing that wine to air OR you can purchase vinegar that has a mother in it and use that mother as your starter.
The process describes that, you should sink some grape straws or oak spirals into the fermenting vinegar, so it increases the surface area that is exposed to oxygen (im not exactly sure how is that supposed to work), speeding up the process.

Add organic vinegar with the mother to beer and it will start to form a skin within a few weeks. Use those to inoculate more beer. A month should be possible if its not too cold. A good tip is to use the decanted wort from starters.
Ok I'll try that too, thanks :)

Beer666

Reaction score
@gatewood I forgot to add keep it loosely covered. I use cheesecloth and a rubber band.

RPh_Guy

Bringing Sour Back
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry, but that article/process is nonsense. We don't need to use methods from hundreds of years ago.

The only thing that pouring it between different vessels does is introduce more oxygen. Simply aerating your vinegar daily by stirring will accomplish the same thing. You can use a whisk and a little "elbow grease", or a drill stirrer. If you like the rustic aspect, you can make a whisk out of sticks.

For the ultimate fastest production you'd need constant aeration, with either an air pump or continuous stirring. It can be done in 12-48 hours this way if your culture is healthy and you keep it warm.

Pumps do not cost "hundreds of dollars". That's total BS. You can use any cheap aquarium pump, under $10 USD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PB8SMM/ heck this one comes with an air stone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073DWVX5P/ I know you live "in the middle of nowhere" but maybe there's a pet or aquarium store somewhere nearby?
Stir plates for small batches can be built for cheap as well.

Aeration does come with a trade-off. Some of the aromatics will be stripped in the process. Stirring is likely better at preserving the aromatics vs using an air pump.

OP
G

gatewood

Reaction score
Sorry, but that article/process is nonsense. We don't need to use methods from hundreds of years ago.

The only thing that pouring it between different vessels does is introduce more oxygen. Simply aerating your vinegar daily by stirring will accomplish the same thing. You can use a whisk and a little "elbow grease", or a drill stirrer. If you like the rustic aspect, you can make a whisk out of sticks.

For the ultimate fastest production you'd need constant aeration, with either an air pump or continuous stirring. It can be done in 12-48 hours this way if your culture is healthy and you keep it warm.

Pumps do not cost "hundreds of dollars". That's total BS. You can use any cheap aquarium pump, under $10 USD. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004PB8SMM/ heck this one comes with an air stone: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B073DWVX5P/ I know you live "in the middle of nowhere" but maybe there's a pet or aquarium store somewhere nearby?
Stir plates for small batches can be built for cheap as well.

Aeration does come with a trade-off. Some of the aromatics will be stripped in the process. Stirring is likely better at preserving the aromatics vs using an air pump.
Woah, ok im sorry, I just found the article in my news feed ._.

OP
G

gatewood

Reaction score
You didn't do anything wrong.
The author of that article is just ignorant; there's a lot of other bad advice there but I didn't want to get into all of it.
I know I know, I just kinda fell chastised just by reading your post, lol (the "wilderness dude" reputation notwithstanding).

OP
G

gatewood

Reaction score
I'm sorry; I didn't mean it that way!
I hate seeing false/misleading information in published articles.
It's cool, just messing around. Anyhow thanks for sharing your knowledge with us, gullible amateurs.

bernardsmith

Reaction score
It's cool, just messing around. Anyhow thanks for sharing your knowledge with us, gullible amateurs.
Oh, I don't know that anyone is self-evidently "gullible". Those who self publish on the internet often don't know their arse from their elbow and they make incredible statements that they have heard from other equally misinformed folk or they simply make up what they say from whole cloth - often telling their viewers and or readers that they have never done X before so they are learning as they claim to offer guidance. The blind leading the deaf and mute and so we - their audience - are left with very ability to determine which claims are garbage and which are based on testable evidence. Self-publishing, before the internet, used to be called vanity publishing... and in my view very little has changed. :eek::oops::yes:

Latest posts