The Blue-Eyed Bombshell Blueberry Wheat Recipe (Extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HardHearinHeisey

Reaction score
Howdy all!! I've only been brewing for about 2 months now, but I use these forums almost daily for general brewing advice and to refine recipes, so I feel bad not sharing what I've come up with so far. After all pretty much all of my "original" recipes are influenced by reading other people's attempts at similar styles.

My first non-kit brew was The Blue-Eyed Bombshell Blueberry Wheat. (Named for SWMBO, of course ;) ) Its been extremely popular, as evidenced by the fact that we've gone thorugh about 25 of the original 51 bottles in a week (everyone who has tried it wants a four pack to take with them!!)

Batch Size: 5.5-ish gallons
Boil Volume: 3 gallons
OG: Don't know, I didn't mix the wort and water enough, so I didn't get an accurate reading... Oops!
FG: 1.012

Recipe:

3.0 lbs Breiss Golden Light DME
3.3 lbs Breiss Wheat LME
0.5 lbs Carahell
0.5 lbs Caramel Wheat
0.5 lbs Clover Honey (Added to boil at 30 minutes left)
0.75 lbs Frozen Blueberries (Pasteurized, cooled, and added to primary before wort)
1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbucker (2.4% AA) (Added at start of boil/60 minutes left)
1.0 oz Saaz (3.0% AA) (Added at 10 minutes left in boil)
1 Packet Safale S-05
7 cups Frozen Blueberries (Pasteurized and added to primary after 11 days)
2 packets Splenda

Steeped the grains at about 160F for 35 minutes, then did a very small sparge.

Only added the DME to the steep-tea for the full 60 minute boil. Added the Hallertau at 60 minutes. Added the Honey at 30 minutes. Added the LME at 20 minutes. Added the Saaz at 10 minutes.

(During the boil, I pasteurized three cups of frozen blueberries by heating them with enough water to cover them in a small pot at 160F for 15 minutes. Then let them cool outside on the porch with a sanitized lid on.)

After 60 minute boil, cooled brewpot in an ice bath in the sink for 25 minutes. Then poured wort into primary on top of berries and the water they were steeped in. Then I topped off the fermenter with about two and half gallons of water that I had in the fridge for a few days to chill it.

Pitched rehydrated S-05 on top of wort and fermented for three weeks total.

After 11 days, I pasteurized another 7 cups of blueberries (using the same process as above), only this time I also added 2 packets of Splenda to counter the tartness from the berries. Cooled the berry-Splenda-tea and added that slowly to primary.

Bottled 10 days later. Filled 51 bottles, used 4.5 ounces of plain old table sugar to prime.

Thoughts: It has a great hazy, deep magenta color. There is a surprisingly noticable blueberry smell on the nose. The beer itself is a bit on the dry side (used S-05, duh) with a smooth and slightly sweet wheat flavor up front, but then a nice sublte blueberry finish.

When I make this again, I'll probably try using S-04 for the yeast. I wouldn't recommend against using S-05 though, I think the dryness helped to balance out the wheat flavor and fruitiness.

If I remember, I'll post a picture of the finished product in a pint glass the next time I crack one open.

I brewed this up a week ago, added the second round of blueberries this morning and will be bottling in a week, I'll let you know how it comes out.

This sounds awesome. I think im gonna have to do this one. I got 3 more to do first

I brewed this one as well today, with a few minor variations based on availability at my LHBS. I am excited to see how it turns out. Should be bottling during the first weekend in August!

Mine came out well. Has the magenta color from the blueberries, but not much fruit taste. Since I made it for the woman I wish it did have some more fruit flavor, because she won't drink much of it. But now I can drink it since it tastes like a really good hefeweizen. Great for hot summer days!

Howdy all!! I've only been brewing for about 2 months now, but I use these forums almost daily for general brewing advice and to refine recipes, so I feel bad not sharing what I've come up with so far. After all pretty much all of my "original" recipes are influenced by reading other people's attempts at similar styles.

My first non-kit brew was The Blue-Eyed Bombshell Blueberry Wheat. (Named for SWMBO, of course ;) ) Its been extremely popular, as evidenced by the fact that we've gone thorugh about 25 of the original 51 bottles in a week (everyone who has tried it wants a four pack to take with them!!)

Batch Size: 5.5-ish gallons
Boil Volume: 3 gallons
OG: Don't know, I didn't mix the wort and water enough, so I didn't get an accurate reading... Oops!
FG: 1.012

Recipe:

3.0 lbs Breiss Golden Light DME
3.3 lbs Breiss Wheat LME
0.5 lbs Carahell
0.5 lbs Caramel Wheat
0.5 lbs Clover Honey (Added to boil at 30 minutes left)
0.75 lbs Frozen Blueberries (Pasteurized, cooled, and added to primary before wort)
1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbucker (2.4% AA) (Added at start of boil/60 minutes left)
1.0 oz Saaz (3.0% AA) (Added at 10 minutes left in boil)
1 Packet Safale S-05
7 cups Frozen Blueberries (Pasteurized and added to primary after 11 days)
2 packets Splenda

Steeped the grains at about 160F for 35 minutes, then did a very small sparge.

Only added the DME to the steep-tea for the full 60 minute boil. Added the Hallertau at 60 minutes. Added the Honey at 30 minutes. Added the LME at 20 minutes. Added the Saaz at 10 minutes.

(During the boil, I pasteurized three cups of frozen blueberries by heating them with enough water to cover them in a small pot at 160F for 15 minutes. Then let them cool outside on the porch with a sanitized lid on.)

After 60 minute boil, cooled brewpot in an ice bath in the sink for 25 minutes. Then poured wort into primary on top of berries and the water they were steeped in. Then I topped off the fermenter with about two and half gallons of water that I had in the fridge for a few days to chill it.

Pitched rehydrated S-05 on top of wort and fermented for three weeks total.

After 11 days, I pasteurized another 7 cups of blueberries (using the same process as above), only this time I also added 2 packets of Splenda to counter the tartness from the berries. Cooled the berry-Splenda-tea and added that slowly to primary.

Bottled 10 days later. Filled 51 bottles, used 4.5 ounces of plain old table sugar to prime.

Thoughts: It has a great hazy, deep magenta color. There is a surprisingly noticable blueberry smell on the nose. The beer itself is a bit on the dry side (used S-05, duh) with a smooth and slightly sweet wheat flavor up front, but then a nice sublte blueberry finish.

When I make this again, I'll probably try using S-04 for the yeast. I wouldn't recommend against using S-05 though, I think the dryness helped to balance out the wheat flavor and fruitiness.

If I remember, I'll post a picture of the finished product in a pint glass the next time I crack one open.

Any idea what kind of grains I could substitute for the LME? My local shop only sells that stuff in 30 pound jugs and I'm not looking to spend $60 for a jug I probably won't ever finish. I'm new to this too, this will only be my 2nd brew.

Back