The biggest bug ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

+HopSpunge+

Reaction score
Found this guy on my foundation wall. Thought it was a bat at first. Looked around on the interweb and I think it's some kind of sphinx moth. It is dead stuck to the wall.

ForumRunner_20130622_174544.png

We get pretty big moths around my area. It's kind of hard to gain perspective on the size of the one in your photo, though.

Yeah, that's about the same size of the ones around here. They typically show up in early spring. We had a lot of them this year.

Hah, thay's a little one! Those things get freakin huge!

How's the quest to clone Prima Pils going? There is an interview with Victory co-owner / head brewed on last Sunday Session. Has some clues on Prima Pils and gives a recipe for Storm King.

I dono, I pretty much gave up after five batches. Made some good quality pilsners but not prima. I tried what few prima recipes I could find online, but none were close in my opinion.Now I am on a amber lager kick. Hopfully someone here that is a better brewer than me will come up with a worthy clone someday. I think doing decoction mashes might help, I have to still master that aspect of brewing.

when I was a kid, a bunch of us were sitting on my grandparents deck when along came a Goliath beetle. it flew right between mine & my moms heads. it sounded like someone hit the house with a rock. then it got up & flew away. I have no idea where it came from & haven't seen one since. and what the flocc was it doing in SW South Dakota?

when I was a kid, a bunch of us were sitting on my grandparents deck when along came a Goliath beetle. it flew right between mine & my moms heads. it sounded like someone hit the house with a rock. then it got up & flew away. I have no idea where it came from & haven't seen one since. and what the flocc was it doing in SW South Dakota?

I've always wanted to see one of those.

Billy-Klubb said:
the one I saw looked like that but darker coloration. and it was loud when it was flying too.

Good Lord! The biggest flying insect I've seen in NWPA was a dragonfly! That thing would probably make me **** myself!!

Found this guy on my foundation wall. Thought it was a bat at first. Looked around on the interweb and I think it's some kind of sphinx moth. It is dead stuck to the wall.

we had moths like that in SD & WY we called Mammoth Moths. they'd get almost as long as that dollar bill. we had a surge in the population one year in the SW corner of SD. insane amount of giant moth bodies everywhere.

Wow, I never heard of those bugs. So I typed in weta bug into the computer. And the first picture that pops up is a weta bug sitting and eating a full sized carrot like it was tiny snack. Farout......

You guys re creeping mee out!!!! I have two fears in life, spiders and dentists. Normally, I can step on spiders but those damn dentists really ***** when I try to step on them :D

Back