The Big Cheap and Easy Cascade Pale Ale Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been working on a bunch of variations of this one. I think I finally found a winner. I know there are a few good apa recipes on here. The attempt was to add one of my own that I perfected with time. I was always looking to create a cheap and easy cascade pale ale in the Sierra Nevada vein but with my own touch.

9 lbs 2 row ( I have also done MO, and it is good as well)
1 lb crystal 40
1 oz cascade at 60
1 oz cascade at 15
2 oz cascade at 5
2 oz cascade at flameout

Dry hopping is optional, but I usually don’t.

US 05 for 3 weeks at 66 degrees ( I have also used wlp 002, which is an interesting variation that my friend really likes. (He is in to English beers). I’ve done that one with both MO and regular 2 row. He likes the 2 row version best, go figure.

Nice! I was looking for a beer to brew for my boss and the guys at work. I brew heavier beers mostly but the wife and I were just talking about how we need a lighter "hot day" brew anyway.

I will punch it into Beer Smith and give it a whirl. What og are we shooting for?

One of my favorite recipes uses Cascade. So if this works out I will have more reason to buy cascade in bulk.

Just bottled this last night. Taste good in carbonated. Can't wait to stick this one. Very easy drinking beer. Good hop aroma, not too bitter. I may play with the fermentables a bit, but good as is. I ended with 7.3% abv.
20181110_180454.jpeg

You use quite a lot of hops toward the end of the boil.

With 3kg grain, I used 1 oz 6% at the start of the boil. Although I get exactly the correct bittering, I noticed that it did not have some of the aroma that dry hopping is supposed to provide.

Just bottled this last night. Taste good in carbonated. Can't wait to stick this one. Very easy drinking beer. Good hop aroma, not too bitter. I may play with the fermentables a bit, but good as is. I ended with 7.3% abv. View attachment 597268

Sounds right! Nice ABV on that batch and great color. I usually have a nice head on this beer. It should be nice when it is all carbed up.

You use quite a lot of hops toward the end of the boil.

With 3kg grain, I used 1 oz 6% at the start of the boil. Although I get exactly the correct bittering, I noticed that it did not have some of the aroma that dry hopping is supposed to provide.

Yes, I’m a hop head, and I like using late addition hops on my pale ales. I want lots of good hop flavor but want to try to minimize bitterness as much as I can. By all means, dry hop it! Very good that way as well.

Last edited:
Are you still sticking to the recipe on the original post? Thinking about going to the LHBS for small business saturday to pick up the ingredients to brew this.

Are you still sticking to the recipe on the original post? Thinking about going to the LHBS for small business saturday to pick up the ingredients to brew this.

I haven’t made this in awhile but have been thinking about it lately. When I make it again, I will cut the 60 min and 15 min additions in half and dry hop with a couple ounces. And I only really use MO now in all my beers (at least when I can get big bags on sale).

I haven’t made this in awhile but have been thinking about it lately. When I make it again, I will cut the 60 min and 15 min additions in half and dry hop with a couple ounces. And I only really use MO now in all my beers (at least when I can get big bags on sale).

Cool. I'll still use 2 row but I'll cut the 60 & 15 additions in half and dry hop. Will updated this thread as I brew it!

Cool. I'll still use 2 row but I'll cut the 60 & 15 additions in half and dry hop. Will updated this thread as I brew it!

Just a preference on the hop additions. Keeping it as is is good too depending on if you like some bitterness. I found I was more ok with some bitterness than my drinking friends, so I may try and cut it back next time, maybe cutting one or both of the earlier hop additions in half. Grainfather puts the altered recipe at like 20 something ibus for 5.5 gallon batch, but I’m sure it doesn’t calculate the actual ibus you get from the latest additions.

Last edited:
Back