The Big Bottle Brew - Mexican Cerveza - With Pics and Video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

XXXXX

Reaction score
Hey folks,

As you can see, the Big & Easy Bottle Brew has great carbonation levels and clarity is much better than I expected from a 2-L bottle brew!

I chose the Mexican Cerveza.

Although it is not much more cost-effective than commercial beer (I paid $4.25 + 13% tax for the 2L kit), for a one-step homebrew, it's definitely worthwhile, even if it only makes for a good conversation piece and nothing else.

The process? Unscrew regular cap, drop in gel-cap full of dry yeast, and screw on special cap (has a hole drilled in it, and rubber seal/gasket has a pin-hole in it to release excess pressure, but keep enough pressure so as to carbonate while it ferments). Wait 10 days, chill, drink.

Flavour is what one would expect from a Mexican Cerveza (with a homebrew twist as usual). It has a full flavour with no weird off-tastes.

All in all? I'd say it's worth it as a novelty or as a once-in-a-while thing, but it isn't a way to save money or have fun making beer. It's too close to the price of commercial beer (not Corona in Ontario, which sells for about USD$40 a case), and it's too easy to make.

Before and after pics (video at bottom of post)

As purchased:
big_easy_bottle_brew_mexica.jpg

Respectable Head:
big_easy_bottle_brew_head.jpg

Decent clarity:
big_bottle_brew_mexican_cer.jpg

Great carbonation:

Last edited by a moderator:
the cap is cool that it allows you to ferment under pressure

Not seen this before...very interesting. And I agree, a novelty.

I'm stretching here, but for some, this might serve as a very minor step toward actually deciding to homebrew...not a bad thing. ;)

Not seen this before...very interesting. And I agree, a novelty.

I'm stretching here, but for some, this might serve as a very minor step toward actually deciding to homebrew...not a bad thing. ;)

Yeah that's possible. Plus you could re-use the bottle and whatnot to try a mini-batch of this or that with reduced recipes. I'm planning on trying a couple different meads...

It might be good for those who want to try making their own wort/cider/mead without making 5 gallons at a time and needing all the extra equipment.

I actually went to this place in Whitby, Ontario today and they had this bottle kit on display for about $5. I was hesitant to try it but I think I might head back down there this week and go for a try.

The price difference in savings isn't much ($5 per 6 pack) but hey, still $5 :)

Hello all. I'm new here this is my very first post. I was searching out this product tonight and came across this thread.
I signed up just to add my 2 cents on this beer.
I'll start by saying I am really enjoying it and buy about 2 bottles every 2 weeks.

I have had various results with the Pilsner.
The 1st time I made it it was very very gassy. Almost undrinkable, almost. I'm not one to waste beer :)
The second time the pilsner was just fine.

I tried the Ale next.
It was good the very first time I tried it and I figured that would be my go to Big and Easy beer type.

Lastly I bought the cerveza.
Well since that day on the cerveza is the only one I buy.
I'm enjoying it right now as a matter of fact.

I brew mine for 14 days.
I've heard to let it sit for a month and it gets even better. I did just that at first but have found no difference.
I've also read a few articles that say it only takes 10 days. I'll try that next.

I enjoy all sorts of beers, from Old Mil to Guiness to whatever. I'm no snob.
Take my opinion for what you want but for the $4 and change I pay for this at my local make your own place I think it is great and will continue to buy it.
I enjoy it.

Cheers,
A.J.

PS- I have not so far found the web site of the manufacturer.
Anybody else?

Back