Quantcast

The Best thing you've made/purchased

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ThreeSheetsBrewing

Reaction score
I was bottling some beer this morning, looked over at the little carboy cleaner I made working away and thought "That's one of the best things I've ever made." It took the chore of scrubbing out carboys with a brush(something I hated and made me avoid bottling) and trivialized it.

I'm wondering what little gadgets folks have made/purchased that have made them think "That's one of the best things I've ever made."

neut2004

Reaction score
My kludgy hop bag holder that I made from a metal coat hanger. Has kept my wort nearly free of hop material. It's so cheap and ghetto, but I wouldn't brew without it.

JonM

Reaction score
I took a homer bucket lid and cut a notch out of it to serve as a spout. Makes pouring grain from a 5-gal bucket into a 5-gal mash tun a breeze.

I cut out 3 circles of 3/4 inch foam and put them in a heat resistant crock-pot liner. Then I set that on top of the mash and it holds the temp beautifully.

A milk crate serves as a perfect drying rack for the bottling bucket, mash tun, etc. and also does a great job of elevating the bottling bucket off the counter a little but.

howabouttheiris

Reaction score
Best thing I ever did was convert from bottles to kegs and from 5 to 10 gallon batch sized brewpot/fermentors.

I enjoy brewing for the social aspects of a brew day.

By moving to kegs, I reduce the sanitizing effort and the "bottling day" can be done with a beer in 1 hand.

By moving to 10 g, I always have a brewpal willing to share setup/cleanup, half the cost, and half the rewards.

JJL

Reaction score
autosiphon has saved me more headaches than any other single piece of equipment

Skarekrough

Reaction score
I fell in love with brewing around 2000 or so when I was given a "Brew Your Own" kit as a Christmas gift. I made a few batches but after awhile I got tired of bottling.

A year or so later I got into it again only to walk away because I hated the bottling.

This went on a few more times until last year when I was thinking of getting back into it but dreaded the idea of bottling. A friend of mine had a kegerator but I hated the idea of dropping that sort of coin and only having, at most, two kegs.

I think it was withing 48 hours of discovering what a keezer was and how to make one that I had a chest freezer in the back of my car and was headed home with it.

In one year I think I've made more beer than all other times I'd brewed, combined. I've made the switch to AG, learned a ton about beer in general and gotten quite good. This past Spring I overheard my Father say to a close friend of his "Ya gotta try some of my kids beer. It'll put anything you can get off the shelf to shame!" My Father's more of a wine guy but knew good beer when he had it so it was a trip to hear him say that.

So yeah...the keezer. It got me back into it and has kept me in it!

hiphopopotamus

Reaction score
Made: Garden hose CFC - Thanks Bobby_M.

Bought: I guess my Brew Kettle. I'm not in love with it. I've made most of my good stuff. If I had a pump, I'd say that for sure :) Man I wish I had a pump.