the beauty that is chimay red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

pickledherring

Reaction score
as many times as i have it, it always surprises me. i have some time, some maris otter and some trappist yeast, how does this grainbill look?

Chimay Red
Amount Item Type % or IBU
24.20 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM) Grain 82.64 %
1.10 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 3.76 %
1.10 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 3.76 %
0.55 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.88 %
0.13 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 0.45 %
2.91 oz Tettnang [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 18.1 IBU
0.58 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40 %] (15 min) Hops 2.2 IBU
1.16 oz Galena [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 10.4 IBU
2.20 lb Candi Sugar, Clear (0.5 SRM) Sugar 7.51

pompeiisneaks

Why that human mask?
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
looks pretty close to a recipe of mine that tasted REALLY close, it was just a bit too dry, my mashing should be a bit higher for my next batch but otherwise came out really close. I see some special B in yours and I had Hallertau instead of galena, but other than that... prolly a pretty damn close approximation. Do it, taste it, and report on the yummy :)

Houblon

Reaction score
Commercial Description:
Bottle Conditioned.
Ingredients: Pilsner malt (French barley from Champagne) & caramalt; German Hallertaur & American Galena hops. Yeast & sugar added to the bottled beer.
Chimay Rouge (Red) is noted for its coppery colour which makes it particularly attractive. Topped with a creamy head, it gives off a light, fruity apricot aroma produced by the fermentation. The taste perceived in the mouth is a balance confirming the fruity nuances noticed in the fragrance. Its taste, which imparts a silky sensation to the tongue, is made refreshing by a light touch of bitterness. To the palate, the taster perceives a pleasant astringency which complements the flavour qualities of this beer very harmoniously. This top fermented Trappist beer, refermented in the bottle, is not pasteurised.