The Barrel Mimic Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My standard protocol now (when it can’t go in a barrel) is as follows per gallon:
1. Standard Meads: 3 Xoaker Med+ American Oak and 3 ml Toasted Oak Liquid Tannin - Vanilla aging for 2-3 months.
2. Melomel: Same as above, but add 3 ml Toasted Oak Liquid Tannin - Fruit Enhancer

Depending on the mead, I may change things a bit. Above is a good starting point. You can always add a bit less and add more later if needed.

Curious if you've determined for your barrel use -- diminishing effectiveness timing? ie) say your first use to get full effects is 6months --- how long to get that same effectiveness on 2nd use, 3rd use etc until it reaches a neutral state.

Cheers!

Curious if you've determined for your barrel use -- diminishing effectiveness timing? ie) say your first use to get full effects is 6months --- how long to get that same effectiveness on 2nd use, 3rd use etc until it reaches a neutral state.

Cheers!

This applies more to folks getting second hand from distilleries. Since my barrels are new, the rate of depletion is much much lower than a barrel that had high proof liquor stripping the good stuff out. It will be 5 years before I notice any kind of fading with a new barrel. My sweet spot for aging is 3-6 months depending on the mead.

I’m on month 2 for my first attempt at oaking, following the instructions you outlined above. I might have to pull a sample in a day or so to check how it’s progressing, and see if I want to wait another month.

So… Life of course has gone crazy since I made this batch and startled aging/oaking it. I have yet to bottle it and the xoakers are still in the carboy… I should get around to trying/bottling it 😅

Latest posts

Back