Quantcast

The 60qt pot!!, too big???

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

joeunc

Reaction score
I just my 60qt in yesterday from that Royal Palm rest supply store from that thread going arouns. Man is that a big pot!!! It was such a deal, couldn't pass up $40 bucks right to my door.

My question is, I will only do 5 gallon batches, I don't really see myself doing a 10gal. I have a 32 quart pot also and now this 60quart one.

Will the 15gal pot be too big for 5gallon batches and should I stick with the 8 gal pot? You know if I am boiling 6 to 7.5 for a 5gallon batch, will there be too much headspsace in the 15gal pot to keep it heated effectively? Or is "bigger always better"

thanks

OP
J

joeunc

Reaction score
thanks I just edited the post to get the mods to move this to equip forum,,I was in wrong forum when I started new thread..

JesseRC

Reaction score
i've got a monster 60 qt as well, I start with about 8 gallons and boil down to 5.5 or a bit over. Yes it's a bit big, but I dont have to worry about boil overs. It works just fine, plus I plan on doing 10gallons of Cream of 3 crops which should work out just fine.

Gosassin

Reaction score
Do it up. You will not have to worry about boilovers, either. Unless things get REALLY out of control.

wilserbrewer

BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Yes I agree, I was a bit intimidated as well when I unwrapped my new 60 qt. I did a water boil last night w/ about 7 or 8 gallons. I must say it is nice to have that much boiling and be well below the top of the pot. I am always surprised how much loss there is through every stage of the processs to boiloff, trub and hop debris, and then the yeast cake in the fermenter. A larger kettle will allow you to account for all this and up w/ a batch that is a true 5 gallons finished product.

Medo

Reaction score
Ahoy hoy,
I use a 50 qt for my 5 gallon batches, i use my 100 qt (and you think the others are big, this thing will hold a child) for 10 gallon batches.
The bigger the better against boilover, in my humble opinion
A great day to all!