That lingering feeling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NaplesVin

Reaction score
You know, that feeling when you pitch your yeast and constantly stare at the wort as it ferments into beer making sure nothing goes wrong or if anything is even happening.... or when you just get done bottling your beer and praying to the Beer Gods that your bottles don't turn into a bomb over night.. I am hoping one day that feeling subsides lol! Anyone else get those feelings of anxiety even when you follow everything to the T? :drunk:

I check in my freshly fermenting beer morning and evening for the first 36 - 48 hours, then let it go. If I go into the basement I may look in, just to make sure the airlock liquid didn't evaporate or anything like that, but I never pop the lid or worry too much until about 2.5 weeks when I do the first gravity check. I then plan to bottle that weekend, for 3 weeks in fermenter (unless I;m doing something that needs longer)

I ALWAYS have that anxious feeling for the rest of the brew day and into the next day. It's always like "Well, by now I know HOW to do everything, it's just the question of whether or not I actually DID all the steps" lol. I check it regularly for the first couple days as well.

I've never had that feeling until now.

Going on 48 hours since I pitched the yeast and still nothing. Considering how fast all my previous batches were (my most recent one started fermenting 5 hours after pitching), I'm getting pretty anxious! But I'm guessing that's why I wasn't anxious before. The fermentation always started pretty quickly. Now, I wonder if the yeasties are just taking their time or... something... else... Grr...

It is a terrible feeling. It does get better and less stressful with each batch but there are always so many different things that can go wrong.

-Jeff

It is a terrible feeling. It does get better and less stressful with each batch but there are always so many different things that can go wrong.

-Jeff

That's exactly it. While they say beer is quite hardy and chances are, even if things go wrong, the end product will still be drinkable, the fact is there are SOO many things that can go wrong or could be done better. It's all learning. You will become more efficient and effective as a brewer, but there are still so many other variables. The best that we can do is RDWHAHB!! :mug:

I put an eye on it until is showing active ferementation then I only look at it to make sure the airlock isn't dry or clogged. If it's an Ale and in the house I like watching it do it's thing so I look at it more. Really just looking at it and smelling the airlock cuz I can. Other than that, not worried at all, the yeast is doing all the work.
Relax, enjoy the show.

I used to get that feeling. Now I just check up on it out of habit. I don't feel compelled to anymore. Rather I just have grown accustomed to checking on fermenting things once per day.

I still log in and check my BrewPi every day to make sure that my fermentation chamber is holding temp properly, other than that let it ride week before sampling for gravity.

I've never had that feeling until now.

Going on 48 hours since I pitched the yeast and still nothing. Considering how fast all my previous batches were (my most recent one started fermenting 5 hours after pitching), I'm getting pretty anxious! But I'm guessing that's why I wasn't anxious before. The fermentation always started pretty quickly. Now, I wonder if the yeasties are just taking their time or... something... else... Grr...

Are you using a plastic bucket, and going by the air lock?

I mostly use class carboys, I like to see what's going on. The last time I used a plastic fermenter I had no activity in the air lock. I got a little nervous, but I waited 3 days, popped the lid and saw that it was fermenting very nicely.

Are you using a plastic bucket, and going by the air lock?

I mostly use class carboys, I like to see what's going on. The last time I used a plastic fermenter I had no activity in the air lock. I got a little nervous, but I waited 3 days, popped the lid and saw that it was fermenting very nicely.

I've only ever used glass carboys, so I am 100% sure there has been zero activity so far. No activity in the airlock, no activity in the carboy.

I use 6.5 gallon buckets... I also have a better bottle that I am going to start using just because I want to see what's going on! Lol

Never actually had that much of that feeling at all, even on my first few batches. Always been thinking that "It's only beer, I can make more of it, which is fun doing".

The closest I get is when I give a way some bottles, then I just hope I sanitized my beergun and the bottles properly. If not, then I can just do it again.

No worries like that. Brewed on Sunday, still haven't checked the fermentation chamber to see if the beer is fermenting. If I remember, I will check tonight. Otherwise I will assume all went well and I can do something in about 2 weeks when it's time to keg.

If there's still nothing going on after 72 hours, I would re-pitch.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing and right now there's a thin, but slowly growing layer of foam on the top of the wort that looks like the head on the top of a glass of Guinness about ten minutes after it'd been poured. I imagine this will gradually transform into krausen.

I wonder if there's an negative effects of fermentation not happening within the first 3 or so days. Does it increase the risk of oxidization since there is no layer of CO2 protecting the wort from the oxygen? I would imagine it would be minimal, but... I guess we'll see.

I had a guy tell me that he once made a beer where the fermentation didn't start until almost a week after pitching the yeast, so I guess it's possible that the yeast in there could have eventually kicked in, but it's very clear that what's going on right now is from my re-pitched yeast.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing and right now there's a thin, but slowly growing layer of foam on the top of the wort that looks like the head on the top of a glass of Guinness about ten minutes after it'd been poured. I imagine this will gradually transform into krausen.

I wonder if there's an negative effects of fermentation not happening within the first 3 or so days. Does it increase the risk of oxidization since there is no layer of CO2 protecting the wort from the oxygen? I would imagine it would be minimal, but... I guess we'll see.

I had a guy tell me that he once made a beer where the fermentation didn't start until almost a week after pitching the yeast, so I guess it's possible that the yeast in there could have eventually kicked in, but it's very clear that what's going on right now is from my re-pitched yeast.

Yeah, you've got it going now.

Good question, I think as long as the air lock was on, no nasties would be getting in there, I think it will be fine ... But I'm no expert.

My fermentation temp control is all manual. Swapping in and out ice packs of a cooler, wrapped in a towel. I know it doesn't sound efficient, but it works well for me. Anyways, I'm always checking on the ice for the first couple of days anyways.

Not sure if I didn't have to do that I'd worry that much about it. Probably not as after the first 5 days or so I don't bother looking at it for at least 2 more weeks.

In the end I think I stress more about keeping it right at 64 degrees than I do anything else. It's almost like proud papa syndrome for me though. Always doting over my little babies.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I've noticed long lag times when using the "recommended" liquid yeasts. Slowly, I've moved to using US05 for almost every ale I brew. Lag times have fallen to 3 1/2 to 5 hours consistently. I re-hydrate and pitch at 75-80 degrees, set my ferment temp control to 65 which of course varies by a couple of degrees each way. My taste buds may not be advanced enough to notice the difference between the dry, and liquid yeasts, but my ferments have been vigorous, and usually last 5 to 7 days.

I've noticed long lag times when using the "recommended" liquid yeasts. Slowly, I've moved to using US05 for almost every ale I brew. Lag times have fallen to 3 1/2 to 5 hours consistently. I re-hydrate and pitch at 75-80 degrees, set my ferment temp control to 65 which of course varies by a couple of degrees each way. My taste buds may not be advanced enough to notice the difference between the dry, and liquid yeasts, but my ferments have been vigorous, and usually last 5 to 7 days.

If you are direct pitching the vial then there will be considerably longer lag time then a starter just finishing up on a stirplate. With a well timed starter I can get the same, if not better, lag times as dry yeast.

If you're worrying about lag times for visible yeast activity why are you pitching at 75-80F?
Why not chill your wort to 65F and temper your yeast to the same? Less temp shock & I think you'll find better attenuation & better yeast activity and ultimately better consistency in your beers.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had a no airlock activity moment . On the 2nd day after pitching yeast i investigated things. The rubber grommet in the bucket lid wasn't sealed properly. There was krausen going on under the lid so reseated the rubber grommet that the airlock sits in and airlock activity began !!!!!

I used to get the feeling I need to check something 8 times a day to make sure it hasn't gotten ahold of the keys trying to swallow them.

I moved into a house that has a basement where I put all of my full fermenters... You might ask "oh thats not a big deal walking down to the basement to check them". Oh no, its not that kind of basement. Its the kind of basement where you go down there and some tentacle monster crawls out from a hole and does things to you that only adults can watch on the internet, or that freaky demon girl from The Ring herky jerky starts crawling along the ceiling coming for you and your Belgian Dark Strong Ale.

For real, my basement is a freaky doom basement. Joking aside I just don't like going down there cause the stairs are super narrow, cement, and crumbling, so I just put the stuff down there and forget about it for 2 weeks (for primaries).

I would imagine that if fermentation didn't start, you should be fine and don't really need to worry about oxidization. Oxidization is mainly an issue if you have hot wort (over 80 degrees) that can pick up oxygen or if fermentation has begun. This link might be able to provide some further information: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

I would imagine that if fermentation didn't start, you should be fine and don't really need to worry about oxidization. Oxidization is mainly an issue if you have hot wort (over 80 degrees) that can pick up oxygen or if fermentation has begun. This link might be able to provide some further information: http://www.howtobrew.com/section1/chapter6-9-3.html

I'd read in a few books that oxidization mainly was a worry during the boil and then when transferring to a secondary or when bottling, but I also had never had a fermentation take so long.

The good news is that I was able to cool my hot wort down from 220F or so to under 100F in about 20-25 minutes or so and then to under 80F in about 40 minutes. So I'd be pretty damn surprised if my wort got oxidized then.

The beer is fermenting quite passionately now that I've repitched. Ah, no more anxiety. Haha.

Back