that last .010 of gravity....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonzx

Reaction score
brewed a black ipa, og 1.078 and just transfered to seconday after 3 weeks primary, seconday transfer gravity measure was at 1.025. is there any way to get my yeast to drop that last .010 or should i just not bother?

You need to be able to diagnose why it stopped before you'll know if you can start it again. Right now you're at 68% apparent attenuation... a touch lower than I'd want to be. If the beer is loaded with crystal malts, mashed high, ect. , it could be a matter of simply too many dextrins in the wort that aren't fermentable. If it stopped because of poor yeast health or other problem (like a dramatic change in temperature) and there are fermentable sugars left, you can probably get it started again by pitching onto a yeast cake (or massive active starter).

brewed a black ipa, og 1.078 and just transfered to seconday after 3 weeks primary, seconday transfer gravity measure was at 1.025. is there any way to get my yeast to drop that last .010 or should i just not bother?

Why would you take it off of the yeast if it's not done?

because thats what the directions said to do. its a nb kit, i was actually late on the secondary transfer because i got busy.

@wonderbread- idk about too many dextrins i followed my kits recipe to the t and pitched 2 packets of wyeast, as far as temps i keep my fermentors in a water bucket with aqaurium heater and my temps always stay within 1-2 degrees of where it needs to be.

should i just give it more time?

Back