thanks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreasyGuitar

Reaction score
did my first ag last night (deathbrewer stove-top style), a small-batch blonde ale based on biermuncher's centennial blonde recipe. all went as planned, except for overshooting my o.g. by 10 points. for just over 5 lbs of grain, i used 10 quarts strike (based on the 2 qt per lb thread) and 7 quarts sparge water. because of the limitations of my crappy electric stove, i can't boil more than ~3.5 gallons in one pot. so i put the overage into jars for future yeast starters. wound up putting ~2 3/4 gallons of 1.052 wort into the fermenter and pitching nottingham sometime after 11pm. kraeusen when i woke up this morning. thanks to all those that chimed in on the aforementioned threads.

and about not being able to brew larger batches? guess i'll have to brew once or twice a week to keep the pipeline full...;)

I cannot take any credit for helping you, but congrats on a good brew day.
Don't sweat the limited capacity at all. Take it from experience, you will be able to do 10 gal full boils within a year if you keep hanging around this place. I would still be doing partial boils for 5 gal extract batches if it weren't for the time spent here learning from others and lusting after their equipment. (Well, equipment and Jesters now famous "Red", but that is another story entirely!)

yeah. i actually bought a propane burner for full boils, but the condo association president didn't exactly like the sight of me assembling it on my porch. it's in a friend's garage now, but one of these weekends i'll commandeer his facilities.

Just tell him that he is significantly hampering your ability to produce quality meth by forcing you to continue using your stovetop. After you scare the crap out of him, and he finds out that it is "only" beer you are making. I am sure he will be much more receptive to the idea.
You just have to know how to work people.

Back