Thanks from a newbie and some questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AJStank

Reaction score
First of all, I just want to thank everybody on here for your insights, opinions, and experiences. I've had a lot of questions answered just from reading the various threads.

I brewed my first batch recently (amber ale kit from Midwest) OG was around 1.046 and my most recent hydrometer reading was 1.012. For my first brew, to gain some experience, I did rack to a secondary with no visible problems so far except for some white clumps of what looks like bubbles floating on the surface. I'm hoping that it's just some leftover yeast doing its work. I'm looking to bottle in the next week or so and I'm pretty excited.

For my next brew, I've got a kit for an American IPA. I'll be dry hopping this one so I'll be racking again. My question is, should I keep this next one in the primary around 2 or so weeks, rack and dry hop, and keep that in the secondary for another 2 weeks or so? Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments.

you don't really need to rack to a secondary to dry hop. Just make sure you've reached FG & let the beer settle till it's clear,but just a lil hazy. Even 7-10 days dry hop can be a good thing. It's up to your senses how long is enough.

I'll be dry hopping this one so I'll be racking again. My question is, should I keep this next one in the primary around 2 or so weeks, rack and dry hop, and keep that in the secondary for another 2 weeks or so? Thanks in advance for your feedback and comments.

I would just keep the secondary going for 1 week, three weeks total. 14 days of dry hopping can give those cut lawn flavors. Now, if you like those flavors, then go for it. Otherwise, bottle after 5-8 days.

The white thingies are likely just yeast, yes.

Leave it alone in the secondary and about a week or so before you want to bottle, add the hops to dry hop. All in all, 3 to 4 weeks in the pri/sec should suffice.

B

Back