Thanks for reassurance for a n00b, more questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EoinMag

Reaction score
Ok, so I was told a month in the primary, that's what the two beers on at the moment are going to get, upgraded from jerry cans to brew buckets with snap on lids no airlock. They went on the 27th of last month so about the 27th they're being bottled, give or take. So will this one month in the bucket mean a faster matured beer in the bottle? Will it then be drinkable in two weeks bottle conditioning, or will it need three?
What I've made and drank so far has been green, I want to let this stuff be pretty good before starting into it.

Ok, so I was told a month in the primary, that's what the two beers on at the moment are going to get, upgraded from jerry cans to brew buckets with snap on lids no airlock. They went on the 27th of last month so about the 27th they're being bottled, give or take. So will this one month in the bucket mean a faster matured beer in the bottle? Will it then be drinkable in two weeks bottle conditioning, or will it need three?
What I've made and drank so far has been green, I want to let this stuff be pretty good before starting into it.

No bottle carbing and conditioning is independant from time spent in primary or secondary...

Im no expert but I suspect it will still need 3 in bottle. this is to properly carbonate I believe, and since the carb suger is added at bottle... I am guessing it will take 3 weeks roughly, no matter how long it was primaried, or racked secondary....

<edit> Revvvy beat me to it. :)

It's not totally independent - the beer does benefit in terms of aging from a longer fermentation time. It will still take about 3 weeks in the bottle to properly carb and condition - the big difference is that you won't be drinking green beer at that time.

It seems to me that 6 weeks from brewday is kind of a magic number for normal gravity beers as far as the "green" taste is concerned. So 3-4 weeks in primary (or primary + secondary) and then 3 in the bottle and most of them are ready to drink.

Cool guys, they're the answers I wanted. So it will take the greenness off it, I can wait three weeks on carbing. Cheers.

Just thought I'd update this one, the bitter is soured, dunno why, but I've sampled a bottle a week now and it was distinctly sour going into the bottles, vinegar smell, I think I looked at it too often, as in lifted the lid to check and let too much oxygen in(noob impatience), now I have 4 beers on I don't disturb them. I'm gonna keep the bitter a while and see can it still come good, but I doubt it. The lager, I'm drinking some green bottles of it tonight, needs another week or more priming but isn't bad.

I don't think oxidation is likely just from lifting the lid. And from what I've read oxidation doesn't produce a vinegar sour taste. You could have an infected batch. How strong is the taste. Is it really like drinking straight vinegar or is is just a little sour. If it's just a little bit sour, it may be the yeast. Make sure you let the yeast settle to the bottom of the bottle. Make sure you keep your bottles upright. Don't lay them down when you put them in the fridge. Don't shake them to make them carbonate faster. Pour carefully into a glass and leave the yeast in the bottle.

I'd say it's a definite acetic smell. Not just mildly sour, it is mellowing a bit in the bottle and my previous bitters have been sour, but this is OTT.

Give it a few more weeks and see if the taste subsides. You might have a bit of an infection there. Only time will tell though - you arent getting gushers when you open them are you?
-Me

Nope no gushing, but like I say, very acidic, you could smell it over the fermenter, and when it was being bottled it was undrinkable, not just green....
If it's gone it's gone, I have a few on at the moment and lager will keep me ticking over.
I can leave it and revisit it in a month or two, see if it's improved any more.

Back