Thanks for nothing, probe thermometer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uncleozzy

Reaction score
This is just a rant, and a warning: if your digital probe thermometer starts acting funky--randomly switching from C to F, for example--you should have a backup on hand.

I learned this last night when the thermometer told me that, after 25 minutes in an ice bath, my 2.75 gallons of wort were still at 140 degrees (I can usually get it to 85-90 in 15 minutes). I noticed the sink water wasn't getting warmer anymore, so I dumped into the fermenter and topped off with ice water. Wort must have been at 75-80, because I wound up pitching at about 57, according to the strip thermometer on the bucket. :mad:

Oh well. At least I get to buy a new toy now! :D

If you are using a cheaper probe thermometer (the ones from walmart, bed bath and beyond, etc) you need to water proof your probe cable.[/URL]

You know, I thought about that. But, even with the probe unplugged--when it should, by all rights, read "Lo"--it still read 140. Maybe you're right, though, and a little water on the wire fried the base unit, too. Either way, it had been acting weird for a few weeks, so no big deal to replace it. I will take the trouble to waterproof the next one, though. Thanks.

sounds like the base unit is fried.

The water proofing of the cable only works up to a point. I had one water proofed and still had a similar experience to yours. The tubing must have worn out after only a few uses. Steam got into the tubing.

Someone linked THIS THERMOMETER a week or two ago in another thread. For about twice the cost of a cheaper Pyrex/Sunbeam thermometer, you can get this guy, and you can even send it out to have it calibrated if you desire.

Someone linked THIS THERMOMETER a week or two ago in another thread. For about twice the cost of a cheaper Pyrex/Sunbeam thermometer, you can get this guy, and you can even send it out to have it calibrated if you desire.

yeah, I have been thinking about one of those. It has its detractors though too who say it is fragile.

Stick the probe in the oven for awhile. Make sure the plug end is OUTSIDE the oven. This will dry it out.

Multiple threads on this.

I eventually switched back over to the dial thermometers and calibrate using my lab stick.

I have dunked and virtually baked several dial thermometers so far and none of them have fried on me yet. They just take a little longer to stabilize to temp.

I'm going with the theory that the base unit is fine.
We don't know for sure how the base unit should work without a probe.

My guess is that the base unit used its last best measurement and will do so until a properly functioning probe tells it otherwise.

I based my comment on the fact that I have a probe thermometer and I tried drying out the probe in the oven several times. It reads 100F in my basement. In Northern VT. In February like weather we have been having.

:(

It was a cheap one to be sure at $6. The other one I have I got for $20. That one still works. I even got a replacement probe from the manufacturer for that one. I might try that with the cheap one as well. Who knows. I suppose it could just be the probe is beyond fixing.

I'm going with the theory that the base unit is fine.
We don't know for sure how the base unit should work without a probe.

My guess is that the base unit used its last best measurement and will do so until a properly functioning probe tells it otherwise.

Nope, this base unit reads (or should read) "Lo" with no probe attached (I use it as a kitchen timer all the time). It's hosed.

Back