Thank you for buying this for me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EvilTOJ

Reaction score
I got a huge tax return this year, but still haven't gotten my stimulus check yet. Hence the reason I am thanking you (yes you) because all this was bought with YOUR taxes. I thought I'd show you what $242 will buy you.

A fifty lb bag of two row, 6 oz of Saaz and Hallertaur hops, two free glasses for spending over $104 at the LHBS, a lb of melanoidin malt, 2 lbs of bottlecaps, a carboy cap, 45 lbs of grain for three lagers (blondoppelbock, oktoberfest, and a pilsner) and.... wait.

brewingcp9.jpg

What's that on the end?

brewstufffm8.jpg

Oh hey little guy!

crusherlm9.jpg

That's right, I'm the proud owner of a brand new barley crusher! $138 shipped with everything I need right out of the box.

I am spent.

haha nice try warped, but you don't know my address!!

Oh wait, you will in a few days when you get your RIS beer swap :(

Hey I like your new mill, but we didn't buy it for you. You used your tax refund money, so therefore you used your own money that Uncle Sam took from you and had to return. We had nothing to do with it. So congrats on the new mill, and thank the man in the mirror.:mug:

My federal reuturn this year brewed a Strong Scotch Ale, a new carboy. A wort chiller, among other non beer things. I just recieved my state return yesterday so I think I might be inline for a cooler/MLT and a conversion kit for it.

On a wonderful note.. I just found out I can boil 6.75 gallons of wort on my parents stove!!(I will be brewing there from now on lol) So I get to go all grain without the need for a propane burner!

oh christ this is 500 isnt it. Whats that mean just post 1 boob?

Nice score, ETOJ!!! :rockin:

I'll be making a similar post soon to show off my bounty. :D

Arneba28 said:
oh christ this is 500 isnt it. Whats that mean just post 1 boob?

According to official HBT guidelines, 500 posts is good for 1/2 of a boob. :D ;) :p

EvilTOJ said:
I got a huge tax return this year, but still haven't gotten my stimulus check yet. Hence the reason I am thanking you (yes you) because all this was bought with YOUR taxes. I thought I'd show you what $242 will buy you.

Doesn't the word 'refund' sort of infer that they are giving back what was orginally yours? I think this is your overpayment of taxes on money YOU earned, taken without your consent and likely without any interest paid, given back to you. Eventually. Provided you ask for it. Or they'd keep it.

They're going to seize your more of your money than they're entitled to next year too. It's like having a second wife.

Fingers said:
It's like having a second wife.

Ouch...

Fingers said:
Doesn't the word 'refund' sort of infer that they are giving back what was orginally yours? I think this is your overpayment of taxes on money YOU earned, taken without your consent and likely without any interest paid, given back to you. Eventually. Provided you ask for it. Or they'd keep it.

They're going to seize your more of your money than they're entitled to next year too.

And they get it interest free. That's why I always want to pay just a little bit, so I get their money interest free.

Now you're just nitpicking! Sure it's money I overpaid to the gubmint, but think of it this way; say every member of HBT take a dollar, and drop it into a huge boil kettle. It gets mixed up and then in a year we each get to take one dollar out of the kettle. Do you think you're going to get your exact same dollar back? No. We still get a dollar, but it's not the SAME dollar. So yes, you (yes you) bought it for me.

And that's your philosophication for today.

Fingers said:

They're going to seize your more of your money than they're entitled to next year too. It's like having a second wife.

That's exactly what I was saying. And I agree. Ok, ETOJ-here's another philosiphication for ya: Let's say your neighbor runs into a bit of a bad patch financially, and needs money to pay his heat bill. You and another neighbor each contribute $50 to help him out. So he OWES you $50. A month later he pays you each back. You then use the $50 go buy some really good beer. Do you go up to the other neighbor and say "hey dude, thanks for the beer, I really appreciate it!"? I doubt it.

YOU bought the mill.

Unless of course he has children or only earned a little income last year. Then he would be eligible for credits such as the EIC, Child Tax Credit, and/or the childcare credit and those are paid by those that are not eligible for those credits.

:tank:

I don't get refunds. Like it's been said before...it's money you overpaid the Gov't and gave them an interest-free loan on top of that.

I paid $166.00 Fed tax this year over my deductions and banked $30K!!! :rockin:

See, this is why we can't have nice things. You all F it up with your incessant politicking and bickering! :cross: :fro: And yes, I do have kids and was able to claim them on my taxes for last year.

EvilTOJ said:
Now you're just nitpicking! Sure it's money I overpaid to the gubmint, but think of it this way; say every member of HBT take a dollar, and drop it into a huge boil kettle. It gets mixed up and then in a year we each get to take one dollar out of the kettle. Do you think you're going to get your exact same dollar back? No. We still get a dollar, but it's not the SAME dollar. So yes, you (yes you) bought it for me.

And that's your philosophication for today.

Did you give physical cash to the government? If so, you're right. If you gave an electronic version, then you got an electronic version back. Same electrons? No, but that's true when use a bank. Are you grateful to the bank for the money they give you every couple of weeks on payday, or is that your money?

By the way, I'm Canadian so I bought you squat.

EvilTOJ said:
See, this is why we can't have nice things. You all F it up with your incessant politicking and bickering! :cross: :fro: And yes, I do have kids and was able to claim them on my taxes for last year.

I'm sorry if I f'd up your giddiness over your new toy, but I honestly see this as a problem in this country. Americans too often look at their tax return as a "gift" or "found money". It's not. It's yours. You worked hard for it. And the government takes more than it needs and doesn't spend it NEARLY as wisely as you would. And when it's time for them to repay, people feel as if it just fell out of the sky. OK, I'm done ruining your new mill now................:eek:

Ooo Ooo another thread on teaching people the pitfall of thinking the IRS is gifting everyone their tax refunds. I'm in!! Bernie, we don't agree on music but taxes... it's like a mind meld.

Now if you said it was a social security check... I might agree that you should thank us.

OT: funny story, my loser brother in law gets about $12,000 a year in SS disability for being diagnosed with ADD. He's probably never earned more than $5k a year on his own. In his grand ignorance, he actually proudly told me that he fought to keep getting the checks so he could "support" my sister (who by the way earns $60k on her own). Yeah buddy, great job... who the F do you think foots the bill for your A.D.D. check? ME.

Bobby_M said:
Ooo Ooo another thread on teaching people the pitfall of thinking the IRS is gifting everyone their tax refunds. I'm in!! Bernie, we don't agree on music but taxes... it's like a mind meld.

Now if you said it was a social security check... I might agree that you should thank us.

OT: funny story, my loser brother in law gets about $12,000 a year in SS disability for being diagnosed with ADD. He's probably never earned more than $5k a year on his own. In his grand ignorance, he actually proudly told me that he fought to keep getting the checks so he could "support" my sister (who by the way earns $60k on her own). Yeah buddy, great job... who the F do you think foots the bill for your A.D.D. check? ME.

That's not funny at all.

Yeah...sorry TOJ. Congrats on the haul! I am looking forward to getting my new haul after the stimulus check.

:off:

Actually a credit is just that. I pay other people for my bills such as childcare and food and clothing for my child. The stuff I was talking about are credits and not write-offs. There is a difference.
I owned my own business with my brother a while back and I know what it's like to pay the gov't a quarterly estimated tax return. I've tried explaining to my wife that when she claims zippy on her W-4 that she is just hurting us...she just don't understand...:(

:tank:

Well, considering we are at war, and nobody has to pay for it yet, wait a bit and see where your taxes go.

Oh boo hoo, Mr IRV "My-wife-just-bought-me-all-kinds-of-man-toys" we all feel so sorry for you :p

I agree on the whole idea of not giving the government more money than you have to, and pay a bit in april instead of getting a refund.

On the otherhand, this stimulus coming out... Is it the gov just printing more money, or are they just going to raise my taxes in such a way that I end up paying it back to them anyway?

Back