Tett and Amarillo together?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkiSoloII

Splitting the beer atom since 1996
Reaction score
Has anybody tried these in combination? I've got some older 6.1% German Tettnanger in stock that I'd like to use up. I'd like to do an amarillo taste/aroma APA, though. Looking at the following:

11 Gals

16.5 2-row
3.5 Munich
1.5 40L Crystal
4oz Torrified wheat

Mash at 154

60min 1oz Tett 3.2, 1oz Tett 6.1
25min 1oz Tett 3.2, 1oz Tett 6.1
10min 1oz Amarillo 7.5
3min 1oz Amarillo 7.5
DH 2oz Amarillo 7.5

WYeast 1098 w/ starter

OG 1.052
FG 1.010
IBU 35
ABV 5.4 %
SRM 8

Haven't heard of anyone using Tett specifically for bittering in combination with Amarillo for taste/aroma. Any experience with this out there?

Thanks,

Dave

I agree, especially with the last Tett addition down at 25 minutes... that will most likely kill a majority of the flavor/aroma. Could you mix some Tett in with the 10/3/DH additions? That might let the Tett have a better shot at shining alongside the Amarillo...

Just my 2 cents, let us know what you end up doing and how it turns out!

So you think the characteristics of the Tettnanger and Amarillo will not clash too much? I was afraid of the stripes-and-plaid thing. Some times ingredients just don't go together. The 6.1 Tett is 2007 - the last of a lb I bought in January off EBAY. It was supposedly from the Sam Adams release last year during the shortage - just wanted to use it up in bittering.

Thanks,

Dave

Latest posts

Back