Test run on my Kal inspired E-Herms rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Huaco

Reaction score
I ran a "sample" run on my rig last night. I started building the brewery on April 1st. Who knew it would take 4 months to build a brewery! I have a few things left to do but the brewery is actually functional as-is.
Control Panel under full load.
I have some small water leaks here and there with my camlocks but nothing real bad. I will try to get them sealed up soon.
70387d1343830151-my-brew-stand-brewery-test-run-cp.jpg

Set up for Mashing.
70386d1343830151-my-brew-stand-brewery-test-run.jpg

Pumps (Please excuse the saw-dust and wood chips)
70250d1343708680-my-brew-stand-finished-pumps-plumbed-large-.jpg

Bottom drain HLT
70249d1343708680-my-brew-stand-hlt-finished-plumbed-large-.jpg

False Bottom
attachment.php

Soldered SS Fitting
68307d1342324046-my-brew-stand-solder-joint-hlt-large-.jpg

HERMS coil installed.
68306d1342324046-my-brew-stand-hlt-herms-coil-large-.jpg

A shot inside the Control Panel. (Bad picture)
67922d1342023967-my-brew-stand-cp-wiring-bad-pic.jpg

Components attached to back plate
65541d1340165571-my-brew-stand-brewery-back-plate-finished-large-.jpg

Drilling and Tapping the Back plate
65540d1340165571-my-brew-stand-brewery-back-plate-large-.jpg

Looks great man! I'm a couple weeks from firing up my Kal inspired brewery as well (30AMP). My parents live in Granbury, TX.. Looks like it's not to far from Lipan, TX. Looking forward to hearing about your first brew on your electric rig!

Cheers!

Looking great! I'm not too far behind. I just finished mounting my last piece of the internal components. I'm assuming you are running 50a service with the way you have the elements selectable?

Simple question for you about the wiring. Where did you run the ground wire from your amp/volt meter transformers? I haven't figured that little piece out.

Looks great man! I'm a couple weeks from firing up my Kal inspired brewery as well (30AMP). My parents live in Granbury, TX.. Looks like it's not to far from Lipan, TX. Looking forward to hearing about your first brew on your electric rig!

Cheers!

Heck, I grew up in Granbury. Moved away for college and spent well over a decade away. Moved back in '10. It's not the same town I grew up in! Man, if you come visit your folks give me a shout. Maybe we can brew a batch of beer together.

Looking great! I'm not too far behind. I just finished mounting my last piece of the internal components. I'm assuming you are running 50a service with the way you have the elements selectable?

Simple question for you about the wiring. Where did you run the ground wire from your amp/volt meter transformers? I haven't figured that little piece out.

Yeah, I have the 50A Back to Back kit. (Not the 50A one bbl)
Man, the dang transformers were the most difficult for me to wire in the entire project. I ended up just running them exactly like the wiring diagram on Kal's site. As far as the ground wire on the transformer itself... it is not even needed really. The transformer actually will ground itself to the back plate. Just to be safe, I went ahead and ran the ground wires to a grounding bar.

Nice job Huaco, and glad to hear things are coming along. I know what you mean about the 4 months - I didn't get the parts kit, but started getting bits and pieces back in November, so consider yourself ahead of the curve. I've still got a few weeks of work left to do on my system, when regular work doesn't get in the way. Looking forward to hearing about your first brew, and how the clean up goes, particularly with the keggles.

Looking forward to hearing about your first brew, and how the clean up goes, particularly with the keggles.

Yep. I am excited to see how the system works out. The bottom drains will hopefully be worth the extra effort.
I do know this, THESE THINGS DRAIN... AND DRAIN FAST! I opened up the valves to drain water after the test run and it only took a few minutes to drain out full kegs and once it got down to about 3 or 4 gallons in there I noticed actual whirlpools forming. I am hoping it will just be a scrub and rinse type of clean-up!

I'm trying to find a good place to order my knobs/switches and lights from. If you wouldn't mind, Where did you get yours? Thanks in advance.

how much was it to get the door cut with a water jet? I was thinking about going this route but no clue what a fair price is for when I get quotes.

how much was it to get the door cut with a water jet? I was thinking about going this route but no clue what a fair price is for when I get quotes.

I have a buddy that works at a cutter... I had done some work for him when he was in a pinch and he repaid the favor by cutting the door for me! :ban:

There are guys getting quotes anywhere from $30 to $100 to cut the door though. Just depends on the shop.

Back