Test of yeast flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
Two weeks ago I ran a test batch to test different yeasts. I have seen many posts with descriptions of what the yeast brings to the table and I decided to see if I could even tell the difference.

I ran a 3.5 gallon batch, split it into 3 small fermenting buckets after cooling and pitched three yeasts:
1. Belle Saison (Lellamand)
2. Safale US-05
3. Safale S-04

I overpitched a bit for the volume thinking that it would bring out any differences. I let them ferment for 2 weeks and then bottled today. Safale US-05 is my go-to yeast and the other two I have never used. I was going to post this after the taste test but I was surprised when the Bella Saison fermented down to 1.000 or 1.001!!!! I checked it twice and then checked the hydrometer with water to make sure it was zero. The other two Safale batches finished at about 1.010.

Is this typical for Bella Saison????

The batch was very basic:

3.5 gallons

1.0 lb Buckwheat crystal steeped in 1 gallon of 160F water for 30 min
4.3 lb Sorghum syrup @ 60 min
1.0 lb Begian Candy Syrup (5L) @ 0 min
0.25 lb maltodextrin @ 60 min
0.25 lb Buckwheat Honey @ 0 min

All Amarillo hops (9.9% AA)
0.4 oz at 60 min
0.2 oz at 15 min
0.4 oz at 0 min

OG = 1.060

I have made only one batch with Belle Saison, I too use US-05 mostly. My batch had og of 1.065 and fg 1.006. Ingredients were all extracts and sugars. Fermented warm, around 80F. Here is the list of ingredients. BTW it was an adaption of a Henepin clone recipe. Turned out pretty good.

3lb briess 45de white sorghum
2.5lb bries brown rice syrup
1lb panela sugar
1lb amber candi sugar(homemade)
.6lb briess tapioca syrup

Hope this helps. Stefan

Very interesting results. I let the bottles carbonate and condition for a few weeks and then did did some taste tests. I could definitely tell the difference between each of the yeast versions. Had to do a few different taste tests on different days because my palate seems to saturate quickly. All were good but I favored the Safale US-05, and my wife favored the Safale S-04, at least for the basic recipe used. I can see how the Belle Saison would be best with the Saison style recipe.

Another post was in line with this topic and test if you are interested. See Post #20 of the following thread:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/dialing-millet-mash-467399/

Back