Tertiary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
Some recipes in some books talk about using a "tertiary fermenter", basically a third fermenter that the beer is racked into for a final settling a few days before bottling. Anyone have an opinion on this? Does it do any good, or is it just extra work? Are there specific beers that you should do with? My current beer is a fairly typical all grain stout. It started at 1.50, and after aerating the wort with oxygen and pitching a very active yeast starter from a sir plate, the beer was fermenting pretty vigorously whithin a few hours. About 2 1/2 days later the gravity was 1.016, and I racked into a secondary fermenter. Since I will bottle it fairly soon when it's finished, I'm wondering about the tertiary fermenter. I'm fairly inexperienced and was wondering what some of my fellow homebrewers thought. Thanks for your help.

bruin_ale

Reaction score
I think most here would say you didn't even need to rack to secondary - let alone tertiary. I almost never do a secondary anymore for beers that condition for 4-5 weeks or less. Tertiary fermentation vessels might only be necessary for something that you age a really long time and/or added fruit/spices/etc in secondary that you then want to take off of that and move to another vessel for clearing or further conditioning.

OP
N

NaymzJaymz

Reaction score
Thank you, sir. As I said, I'm pretty new at this am learning with every batch.