Terribly underrated bands that never got their dues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewN00b

Reaction score
Name a single underrated band that did not get the attention they should have, or had their thunder stolen from them.

My choice; Faith No More.

My God, I always loved FNM growing up (90's were my decade), but as I get older they get better, and deeper, and so much more complex. It's really quite fantastic.

Right now I am listening to "The Gentle Art of Making Enemies" from the King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime album. Jesus, do a favor and youtube search for it.

What's your choice?

The Pat Travers Band. Late 70's. They had a couple radio hits "Snortin Whiskey, Drinkin Cocaine" and "Boom Boom, Out go the Lights", but their albums are very deep with good dual guitar blaring rock and roll. Sort of a Peter Frampton without pinup poster looks.

Return To Forever. Some of the top talents in the progressive jazz world coming together to form what should qualify as a "supergroup," and turning out some truly AWSOME music.

BrewN00b said:
My choice; Faith No More

If you hadn't started with it, this would have been my choice. I saw them in Milwaukee. Best show I have ever been to and hardly anyone there...you could just walk right up to the stage.

In English, I'd say Queensryche.

But then there was this Argentinian band, that got to be huge in Spanish, but even when they made a (horribly translated) English version of one of their songs, they were never given the time of day. The name of the band was Soda Stereo. Here's their wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soda_Stereo

How about the single most under-rated guitar player? Does that count? If so...

Frank Zappa.

If not...

The Mother's of Invention.

Frank Zappa.

If not...

Winner. Although he may have been more appreciated if they could have played his music. He had the audacity to record music that woudl nto pass censors.

But, couple his genius compositional skills with his insane guitar talent and yes, he was WAY underrated.

Then there is my personal favorite underrated band, Midnight Snack!

James. They got pegged as a one-hit-wonder because of that "Laid" song. The rest of their work is really incredible.

Single most underrated musician ever.

Musician? Yes. Underrated guitarist? I don't know about that. He hired Stunt Guitarists for a reason. He was a great guitar player but I don't think he's underrated in that regard.

Most underrated guitarist?

Steve Kimock.

Name a single underrated band that did not get the attention they should have, or had their thunder stolen from them.

My choice; Faith No More.

My God, I always loved FNM growing up (90's were my decade), but as I get older they get better, and deeper, and so much more complex. It's really quite fantastic.

Right now I am listening to "The Gentle Art of Making Enemies" from the King For a Day, Fool For a Lifetime album. Jesus, do a favor and youtube search for it.

What's your choice?

I was just listening to my cassette copy of "We Care A Lot". It never made it to CD as far as I know. I just loaded "Introduce Yourself" onto my iTunes, too. I saw them open for a Guns n Roses/Metallica show in Buffalo in the early nineties at Ralph Wilson Stadium in front of 70,000 people. I would kill to have seen them in a small room!

I was in my prime years (18-late 20's) when STP was popular, they were highly regarded in their time. However, I think that they have been forgotten in recent memory to most people.

I like them and am a fan of grunge, but Scott Weiland has not produced anything great in years.

KayaBrew said:
I was just listening to my cassette copy of "We Care A Lot". It never made it to CD as far as I know. I just loaded "Introduce Yourself" onto my iTunes, too. I saw them open for a Guns n Roses/Metallica show in Buffalo in the early nineties at Ralph Wilson Stadium in front of 70,000 people. I would kill to have seen them in a small room!

Oh, man, my biggest concert-related regret is not seeing that GnR/Metallica tour.

nefarious_1_ said:

Frank Zappa.

If not...

I'll go with Zappa, also, I realize that The Foofighters are very popular, but I think that Dave Grohl's talent is underappreciated.

Jimmies chicken shack. Out of Charleston SC. Bad ass band. Check out "Another Day" its a great song.

Actually, they're out of Annapolis, MD. JCS was my favorite band back in 97! I'd also like to put forth another Maryland great, Clutch.

... let's just ignore that Hootie and the Blowfish came from MD too, ok?

Fusorfodder said:
Actually, they're out of Annapolis, MD. JCS was my favorite band back in 97! I'd also like to put forth another Maryland great, Clutch.

Now im pretty sure hootie was from SC?!

+1 on Jimmie's Chicken Shack and Clutch!

I always thought Bif Naked was underrated as well.
Love that crazy tatooed rocker chick!

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't say that he didn't get his due (I mean, he's in the Rock & Roll HoF), but Tom Waits is probably the best songwriter of the past thirty years and he's criminally underappreciated. And, he's evolved his sound a ton over the years, he's gone from very beat-infuses, jazzy blues to very harsh, organic, world-music influenced stuff. No way to show the spectrum over three videos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Musician? Yes. Underrated guitarist? I don't know about that. He hired Stunt Guitarists for a reason. He was a great guitar player but I don't think he's underrated in that regard.

Most underrated guitarist?

Steve Kimock.

Not a huge Kimock fan, gotta admit, but maybe that affirms your statement. Even still, gotta rehash and it seems others agree:

Frank Zappa.

Notice the period after his name... ...or should it be an apostrophe...

BTW, must comment on Waits... I absolutely love Tom Waits, but he has a huge following. Every time he tours, he sells out shows. Could it be because he rarely tours? Probably... But he sells out shows...

Back